Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR solid diff Rear Axle Bearings

Vr ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vrs ute
Glad I could help, once fully assembled there was still abit of end play but nothing like 1mm I did consider making a shim as well but haven't got the time for trial and error. Once apart the depth of the bearing location measured 29.0mm and matches the bearing Timken thickness of 29.0mm. Compared the finish and quality of the two bearing brands the geneic ones just looked cheap and even the Timken lip seal felt heavier than the generic seal. I'm not brand pushing but was talking to the guy at the Branson counter and said they get alot of complaints about other supplers and quality of parts atm and they sell parts to a higher standard as it always bites them if they fail, Ill still buy parts from different retailers but will vary what I buy from who.
Also notice the axle was getting quiet warm before I changed the bearing back to timken, checked them today after a drive home and both sides now feel the same temp.

Last edited:

HughesyVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Ute
Hey guys, just curious as to why my axle won't go back in. Changed bearing and seal today and axle stops about an inch short of where it should be. Any ideas

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Is it going into the spline in the diff?

HughesyVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Ute
Almost certain it is as the tailshaft and opposite wheel both spin when I turn my side to push it in. Like I said it goes all the way bar the last onch. Possibly even less than that. Just read somewhere else about part of the assembly being left behind? Any ideas what they are talking about? Could be what's stopping me from getting it in

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Sure the axles are in the correct sides? 1 is longer than the other.

HughesyVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Ute
Yeah I only took one out. Just found the issue. Was just having a complete brain fart and trying to assemble the brakes wrong. It's in the right spot. Thanks for your quick response blokes

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Backing plate in front of the retainer?

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Just the bit that the caliper and handbrake assembly is bolted to, i remember forgetting to put it on first once.

HughesyVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Ute
Oh. I thought you were talking about something inside the axle housing