Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr stalls irratic idle abs??

vpwagon19

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp wagon
hope some of u can help me!
yesterday i bought a vr series 2 commy the people i bought it from said the head has gone! car goes hard as and you couldnt tell that the head is gone??? there is no oil in the water or water in the oil all good there the only problem is it kept stalling so today i changed the bcm, coils, leads and plugs also injectors and still stalls every now and then. its idle is irratic the people i bought it from also gave me a invoice which all the work was done 2 days ago cost them 1500 they put a new abs and some other pars, and the brake pedal nearly goes to the floor, there are no visible cracks in the harmonic balancer any suggestions people as to cause of problems p.s have not found any vacuum leaks so far

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Clean the throttle body and the Idle air control valve (IAC)....pedal going to floor may mean air in the brakes which may not have been bled properly due to ABS or maybe they also put new pads in which need to bed in. Do a codes check https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vr-vs-revised.22307 as this may give a code which may point to crank angle sensor (CAS) failing (usually when hot).
What did plugs look like when replaced?

vpwagon19

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp wagon
cheers for the help.
i got no idea what the plugs looked like as abs changed them 2 weeks b4 i got the car but didnt do the leads..... they also put a new brake line on which they didnt tighten up found that out while i started bleeding them, did the (IAC) valve made no difference did a codes check got code 12 meaning all good

cheers Cameron

QuickVRII95

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Patent Pending 1995 VR Series II V6 Buick
I've Got A N/A Tuned VR Series II & It Goes Bloody Hard... It Started Running A Bit Rough & It Wheel Spun Around A Roundabout, I Heard A Loud Metallic Clunk & It Still Was Going Strong, So I Thought Nothing Of It (Thinking The Transmission Was Going Again From Power Increase)..

It Ended Up Being The Cam Follower On ONLY The Third Piston On Left Bank & Both Lifters Now Smack On Cam & Tick When Accelerating Until You Floor It... I Did Test It On The Princess Highway & Hit Over 250kmph With The Standard Memcal Though.. 8^P Silly Bugger, I Know...

So Be Cautious.. No Calcification In Oil Or Bubbles In Coolant Either!!

I've Got The Engine Stripped Now.. Adding New Components Anyway, So It Doesn't Really Bother Me..
(Adding To What Cameron Said..)
About Your ABS... Whoever Put It On, Didn't Bleed The System Before Installing It & Air Is In The ABS Unit... Result: Major Problems Like Your Having.. (Foot To Floor)

It's ONLY Really One Of Three Things; ABS UNIT, Master Cylinder OR >Brake Booster Leak<.. (Which A Hose Attaches To The Side Of Throttle Body... Can Cause Rough Idle Too)

Vacuum Leak Could Also Be Evident Under Dash On Air Conditioning System... If You Take The Little Hose Off The Side Of The Throttle Body.. You Can't Use Air Conditioning Vents (ONLY Demister)...

Check Your Alternator Regulator Bushes, If It Keeps Stalling...
It Could Be A Tiny Valley Gasket Leak Too, Causing Your Rough Idle... They Also Run A Bit Rough, If Your Coolant Isn't Up To Spec Or There's A Block In Your Cooling System...

QuickVRII95

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Apologies... I Like To Type...:blah blah:

QuickVRII95

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
One Last Thing... Change You Belt Tensioner (Idle) Pulley... IT WILL Make It Run Rough Too..

vpwagon19

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp wagon
One Last Thing... Change You Belt Tensioner (Idle) Pulley... IT WILL Make It Run Rough Too..
will that make it stall aswell? justbout every time i pull up at a set of lights it stalls??? all vacume lines are fine cheerz for the help

QuickVRII95

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
It's A Combination Of Things, That Can Make A Car Stall... I Blow Metal Idle Pulleys All The Time... Even Shear Them Off The Bracket, In Some Cases... (High Bhp)

If It's Plastic... Change It Anyway, Before You Damage Your Timing Gear... Plastic Ones Are Crap..

Stalling Problem When Puling Up To Lights..

>>It's The Throttle Position Sensor &/or The Idle Air Control Sensor On The Throttle Body... (Change Both At Same Time)<<

You Can Temporarily Get Past This Problem, By Adjusting The Throttle Body Idle Screw & Slightly Open The Butterfly A Bit More To Stop It Stalling.. So You Can Buy The Parts (NOT A Long Term Thing Though)..

But If You Haven't Fixed The Brake Problem First (Major Defect), I'd Get One Of Your Mates To Take You & Get The Parts...

If Your Battery Light Comes On Or Flashes... It Will Definitely Be The Alternator Regulator (Bushes) If You Get A Flat Battery Too...
(Bushes Worn & Not Contacting = No Power & Drains Battery When Driving & Eventually Stalls)..

Might As Well Check It.. New Bosch Regulator Only Costs Around $37 Including GST..

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
how about you try cleaning the throttle body, especially the IAC and associated passages as Hako suggesting in the first reply as it is 99% likely to be the rough idle problem.

bleed the brake system. if a lot of air is trapped in the ABS unit then sometimes the only way to clear it is to have it hooked up to a diagnostic system which can cycle the ABS module to help get the air out.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If you cant get all the air out of the brake system,and cant get hold of a scantool to cycle the ABS,bleed the brakes to get them working as best you can, then try locking up the wheels on some grass (somewhere safe).This will cycle the ABS and hopefully let the trapped air go through the system so it can be bled out.Just lock it up a few times on the grass ,then rebleed the brakes.It might take a few lockups and rebleeds to get all the air out.