Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR ute 5.0 V8 1995 suddenly won't crank/ start after a 7 hour drive - any ideas ?

prw67x

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Ute 1995n 5.0 V8
Hey Troops,

My son's ute, has on a few occasions now, decided to just stop running while driving on the highway, so the crank angle sensor was replaced [ twice ] about 12 months ago
Now today, while driving back from QLD to Sydney, at Port Macquarie, he stopped to get brekky, came back to the car and now it won't crank / start . . . nothing . . . any ideas ?
Local auto sparky said it " might be the key / barrel on the column / computer . . . . but it had to towed to a relatives place back in Kempsey

Any ideas for getting this sorted would be appreciated

Cheers

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Not cranking is not ignition related. That sounds like a starter motor or battery issue.

Let it cool for a few hours and try again (if it's a cooked starter motor). Next, are the ignition lights coming on with the key? Check voltage. When you try to start it can you hear a click sound from the starter (stuck or bad solenoid).

Does it have the factory immobilizer? Can you lock/unlock the car with the key heat remote? Does the flashing light go out for the security system?

Auto or manual? If auto have you made sure it's in park or neutral, try wiggling the shifter

prw67x

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Ute 1995n 5.0 V8
Thanks for the feedback, I'll ask him to check all this out . . . . forget to mention, this happened once before after a long drive [ strangely, back from the same place in QLD, but I can't remember how it was fixed last time tho ]
Cheers