Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR ute making weird sound from rear when turning tight right?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Has your VR got a steering rack connected to the rear of the car? From my understanding power steering pumps are located in the front, and the rack is in the front of the car too....I must be mis-reading something, or got the ends of a car mixed up

For what it is worth, it could be a wheel bearing, or a noisy tyre...

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
VC it's a bit hard for me to determine on my own where the noise is coming from. I thought it was the rear but I could be wrong. Hard to tell when your in the drivers seat and not having heard thia noise on the ute before. My first thought was wheel bearing but i can now hear it turning tight both ways.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Last time i heard a bearing was a different noise, more of a rumble, hum that can be heard at 60kmph. I only notice the noise at Uturn speed not going along. I have NFI is the trouble so it could be anything. I'm nearly to Adelaide but too late today to have it checked by another mech shop. Tomorrow i will be in Victor. Not sure if anyone will have time to look at it tomorrow. I don't really know where to take it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Quick update, i have been sitting for an hour and things have cooled down. The noise can barely be heard now?? Does that suggest anything?

hoborific

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VR V6
Quick update, i have been sitting for an hour and things have cooled down. The noise can barely be heard now?? Does that suggest anything?

Can't hear noise idle only near full lock and when dry steering? If so it could still be power steering pump, could also be your belt or maybe the PS fluid is too full or too old, unlikely though, some days mine is quieter than others but it's hard to guess online other people's problems

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
so no noise when you turn left losh i think you should chuck up a vid of this mystery noise if it not bushers bearings or diff what can it be unless it at the front end

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
And there lies the issue unless you know what to listen for its really hard to tell people on a forum enough info to give an informed answer. Im inclined to give it a flush and see what that does. Oil is probably over 12 months old. DX3 AFAIK doesn't last that long in PS pumps as it doesn't like the pressure. At least that is what i have been told in other forums.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
this road trip is certainly bringing out the gremlins in the old girl

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Does it have an lsd? Once the diff is warm/hot these LSD's tend to shudder and groan when going around tight corners. They don't seem to do it when cold. Mine's done it for years and is most noticeable in underground/multilevel carparks where everything echos.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah LSD probably only semi functional. Do they get worse as they get older?