Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR v6 all 6 spark plugs carboned

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Vr berlina 3.8 v6 , 1996 VS executive 3.8 v6
To see how far I'd have to repair or replace, will I have to do a compression test?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
There is a method for checking oil burning and what the issue is without having to compression test. I can't remember exactly how to do it as it's been years and it may have been a wife's tale, but I vaguely remember you run the engine on idle for five mins and give it a quick stab of the throttle. IIC the rings will cause oil to burn in a different way. It all goes in the combustion chamber but I think with the idle it builds up and means rings, but a 40 min sit engine off and then puff of smoke upon starting means valves. VC Commodore or a few other members will be able to call BS if that's what it really is.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
TBH though the old V6 will go 400k and not use much oil. Members on here have reported close to 500k and while the engine are tired they are still running ok. Mine would have over 200k and it uses no oil. I'd be surprised if the rings are worn out, unless the mileage is getting up there. How much oil are you burning between changes? 400-500ml is about normal on a good engine. If it's around that I wouldn't be concerned about rings.

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
There is a method for checking oil burning and what the issue is without having to compression test. I can't remember exactly how to do it as it's been years and it may have been a wife's tale, but I vaguely remember you run the engine on idle for five mins and give it a quick stab of the throttle. IIC the rings will cause oil to burn in a different way. It all goes in the combustion chamber but I think with the idle it builds up and means rings, but a 40 min sit engine off and then puff of smoke upon starting means valves. VC Commodore or a few other members will be able to call BS if that's what it really is.
That sounds like a plan, to find out what the procedure is to do

pete30nz

Reaction score
Members Ride
TBH though the old V6 will go 400k and not use much oil. Members on here have reported close to 500k and while the engine are tired they are still running ok. Mine would have over 200k and it uses no oil. I'd be surprised if the rings are worn out, unless the mileage is getting up there. How much oil are you burning between changes? 400-500ml is about normal on a good engine. If it's around that I wouldn't be concerned about rings.
On this replaced engine I've done the sump gasket, in hope to not loose oil.
I'm unsure with the VR how much oil I go through because ive hardly driven it alot at all.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I thought you was talking about your VS. Are we talking VR with the Buick like mine?

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I have an idea that the Buick heads will actually bolt on to an Eco but that would be as far as you would get.
Sorry the heads cannot be swapped. Good untouched VR heads with no cracks are hard to come by. I was able to sell a pair for $100 off a seized engine and the buyer said he got a bargain.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Looks like going off your spark plugs 2 are wet, if they are in the right order then depending on what side each set came from its either 3 and 5 or 2 and 6, You want to grab yourself one of the spark plug testers u place on the leads to see if its not a spark problem, you say you replaced a lot of things depending on the brand some times things like DFI or coils can be faulty been new, most v6 engine pass a little oil as they wear on the bottom side more than the top. It looks like its something to do with spark to me, make sure the dfi plug pins ant bent or worn.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Sorry the heads cannot be swapped. Good untouched VR heads with no cracks are hard to come by. I was able to sell a pair for $100 off a seized engine and the buyer said he got a bargain.
I was wrong i thought they could bolt down but then nothing else could after that, so you wouldn't do it. $100 for heads i have a pair spare good to know they have some value.