Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V6 Commodore, Replacing the Starter motor on a Auto

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
What about lowering the Steering rack but remove the bolts left and right or removing the two bolts for the rack under the starter moter and one on the other side so its swings.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You should only have to do one of the things I mentioned. Two rack bolts and pull it back, IIRC gives enough clearance.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
You should only have to do one of the things I mentioned. Two rack bolts and pull it back, IIRC gives enough clearance.
Yes I might do it this way. If I remember the rack has 4 bolts two either side loosen them or remove them if needed. Do what you need to do to get clearence to get the starter motor out and disconnecting. Remember reading this many many mouths ago as I purchased the starter motor close to 1 year ago. LOL.

Just as well I googled iirc and is if I recall correctly because having a stroke I dont know these acronym anymore

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Only two mounting bolts for the rack. They tend to be tight though. You need to undo both or the rack won't get enough movement.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
And still your grammar/spelling is better than many others on this forum.:cool:
And the difference is I try my hardest to make the post correct in all ways. As it stand if I wake up like I feel today, like I feel like now I will not be doing the Starter motor tomorrow like I planed to do because my arms and legs feel like i have I have 10 kilo's of lead on each one, Been like this since last Thursday.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Only two mounting bolts for the rack. They tend to be tight though. You need to undo both or the rack won't get enough movement.
Thanks for that. My Son is going to be the Brute force needed to do this job but the trouble is my Son has less strength than me LOL.LOL, but I can see my Daughter getting under the car because she is strong, stronger than me and my Son put together. You would think that my 23 old son would be stronger than my 27 year Daughter.
This is the reason why I purchased two Breakers bars 1/ 24 inch 2/ 36 inch but I have a feeling the 36 inch one wont fit under the car and snap/loosen the bolt off.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I hope those two bolts where they go into the two holes (The Chassis) have a near to perfect fit because if not my steering wheel will be out (PS not Alignment)

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
You need to hold the nut on top while undoing the bolt from the bottom on the rack mount. Nut is 18mm, bolt is 19mm.

Make sure your battery is disconnected too. Two bolts on the starter and drops straight out. But I have changed a few starters and never had to undo the rack or the tie rod end. Bit of a tight wiggle to get it out though.