Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V6 Commodore, Replacing the Starter motor on a Auto

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
After changing any steering or suspension components you should always get the wheel alignment done, the toe in/out is measured at the outer edge of the tyre, the machine compensates for this. Taking a measurement from the rack to the rotor is a rough guide, but 1/2 mm out at the rotor can translate to 2mm at the tyre. And that's just one side.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes It could be toe in by a mile but because the both are the same the car drive straight and the wheel is in the middle. The only thing I did differently was I measured from the edge of the rack to the marked position of the rotor and put it back with the same measurement. People say you should count the thread off than put it on with the same count but what happens if the Tie rod ends are longer like my new china crap because that are 1mm longer than the originals so if you do it this way you will have more toe in by 1mm on each side. Now the Wheel will be straigh but the toe in will be 2mm more in what it was before.
Yes the VR Comm is a old car, The Last wheel alignment I did was done by me useing a Brickies string for laying bricks, car stands to tie the strings on on both ends and stretch it at bot ends and I made it to have toe in bye about 1/2 a mm and done this on both's sides. Rough but it has worked and tyre wear was ok if I remember to pump the tyres up every month.

Driving straight, steering wheel straight means nothing, when it comes to it having premature tyre wear or not...Even the way you replaced the tie rods doesn't mean it'll stop premature tyre wear,...Just remember, not everyone is paying for your tyres....Only you are....

I'd be having an alignment done, which ever way you fancy getting it done, for peace of mind...The choice is yours

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Driving straight, steering wheel straight means nothing, when it comes to it having premature tyre wear or not...Even the way you replaced the tie rods doesn't mean it'll stop premature tyre wear,...Just remember, not everyone is paying for your tyres....Only you are....

I'd be having an alignment done, which ever way you fancy getting it done, for peace of mind...The choice is yours
Yes I will do it when I have time, Just as well I have other cars to use.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
After changing any steering or suspension components you should always get the wheel alignment done, the toe in/out is measured at the outer edge of the tyre, the machine compensates for this. Taking a measurement from the rack to the rotor is a rough guide, but 1/2 mm out at the rotor can translate to 2mm at the tyre. And that's just one side.
Yes I understand and times two for the total.