Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V6 Commodore, Replacing the Starter motor on a Auto

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I have an OEX and it's better than the original one. Glad it came out easy mine was a bitch and had to have rack moved to get it past.
The older OEX were good the ones you get now are made from recycled coke cans.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
To remove all the connection took me 5 minutes, to unbolt the starter motor took me 8-10 minutes
Geez, what a saga. It certainly answers the question of why some find the job easy and others struggle. At least you persevered and got it done.
To remove all the connection took me 5 minutes, to unbolt the starter motor took me 8-10 minutes for those two bolts, one long and one small and they were easy as pie to loosen them but had a STRUGGLE to pull them out because of the crosshatch on the bolts that get stuck in there and consider the block has the thread 20mm inside before the thread start you have to do what you have to do to get the two bolts fully out and if you dont you cannot move the starter motor to the front (jammed in there) so the nose of the starter motor with the gear gets out of the plate to remove it them after this you can aim the front of the starter motor to you head and it come out VERY EASY.
After you jimmy the bolts out one way or another then the starter motor falls on you head if not hanging on it.
The other issue is since this CHEAP Chinese starter motor does not give you NEW BOLTS you have to use your old bolts and I have come to a conclusion that the HOLE size was a paper thin tighter.
Now after I fixed this tight bolt issue by slightly grinding the HEX out and even then it was hard to get the bolts out and this was another MAIN issue. Remember I had issue the spade connector plus the lug had to be cut 2mm shorter so the starter motor had to go in and out and considering I had to fit and remove the starter motor out at LEAST 6 Friggin times.
Remember I had was the the solenoid spade connector as it was facing the wrong way + the new starter motor was slight different when connecting the main battery cable so I forgot to tell all this last night I HAD TO GET THE HAND GRINDER OUT AND PUT A CUTTING WHEEL IN IT AND CUT OFF 2MM of the end of the lug with difficulty and if you dont do this the lug will never fit to the position because it was longer at the end and wont fit PERIOD. Now I have a good mirror and stuck it in there and the refection told me I NEED TO CUT THE END of the lug off by at least 2mm.

Now I had a Factory Genuine Holden Starter motor the old starter motor would have come out easy like it did and the new one would have gone back up and connecting ok because 1/ the Solenoid spade connect would have been the right way. 2/ The Genuine one would not have ( A) that metal strip that it impossible to fit a ring spanner to tighten the nut for the main power (B) I would not have to cut the genuine lug off by 2mm just to fit it to the generic shi.t Chinese starter motor.
Now when it come to the Spade connector that was facing the wrong way they the manafacture of this rubbish could have put 2 of them, one facing the the front and the other facing the back for F.... sake and by this it will have eliminated one issue.

Gruuuu I' repeating like a parrot, It was a Frustrating job all because of stupidity by the manafacture !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have an OEX and it's better than the original one. Glad it came out easy mine was a bitch and had to have rack moved to get it past.
Was the car a VR 1993-4 Commodore?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yep

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
What did the starter you removed look like? Left or right?

1599110262893.png

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
He mentioned it in post #37. It's the one to the right (the good one) ;)

Not really, he didn't say which one his was that he removed, just what the auto and manual ones are supposed to look like. There are 2 different starters fitted to the VN-VS, Delco and Bosch, you have to replace like for like regardless of transmission.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
NAAF, what was typed in post #37 was “NO GOOD“ and “This one is OK” which I understood to be in relation to what actually fitted his car.

No idea if that was Delco or Bosch.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
NAAF, what was typed in post #37 was “NO GOOD“ and “This one is OK” which I understood to be in relation to what actually fitted his car.

No idea if that was Delco or Bosch.

I suppose, but I read that as "NO GOOD" because it was auto and "OK" because it was manual.