Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR v6 Engine Noise

sik_dose

Hybrids. Cars for fools.
Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL Calais Turbo, VZ SV6
shouldent be using any fluid would chage the pump if it is, i changed my pump recently and ive had no problems since. circles will ruin a power steering pump pretty quick. listen for the noise and let us know where its coming from exactly.

westbad

Reaction score
Members Ride
I reckon, for a novice, a screwdriver or extension bar through the ear hole into the brain when it hits a moving part is not too helpfull!

Anyone with the slightest bit of common sense wont touch a moving part.. i always find the sound travels better through a solid metal bar when trying to find the noise.

jono1492

DTD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE omega
If it is still using a lot of fluid, then it will only be going all over the engine or down to the ground!

That's the thing, can't seem to find any fluid in the engine bay or underneath the car, or on the driveway...thinking it's time to change mechanics

VSIIBerlinaL67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
Just be carefull not to loose a finger in the drive belt at the front!

that happened to me, finger went around the alternator pulley didnt feel it for 10mins ended up being fractured lol

if oil pressure is good, its prob just a exhaust leak

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
If you put it on stands, start it and move the steering wheel does it make the nosie? If it does switch the motor off and remove the drive belt and do it again and tell us if it makes the same noise, (it won't overheat if it's only for a minute).
Also with the drive belt off and motor stopped turn the pump by hand and see of it feels ok, do the same to the alternator and water pump as well. When these engines make funny noises it's usually one of the things bolted on it like a water pump etc. I never had to touch my VN's Buick motor other than 2 or 3 alternator rebuilds, water pump and surge tank which started to crack, CAS, Harmonic balancer and IAC valve the motors themselves seem to go forever (unless they run out of oil or coolant).
How much warranty is on the new rack and pump?

jono1492

DTD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE omega
If you put it on stands, start it and move the steering wheel does it make the nosie? If it does switch the motor off and remove the drive belt and do it again and tell us if it makes the same noise, (it won't overheat if it's only for a minute).
Also with the drive belt off and motor stopped turn the pump by hand and see of it feels ok, do the same to the alternator and water pump as well. When these engines make funny noises it's usually one of the things bolted on it like a water pump etc. I never had to touch my VN's Buick motor other than 2 or 3 alternator rebuilds, water pump and surge tank which started to crack, CAS, Harmonic balancer and IAC valve the motors themselves seem to go forever (unless they run out of oil or coolant).
How much warranty is on the new rack and pump?

I had a good listen today and I'm quite sure it's something bolted on, sounds like it's coming from the drive belt area. But I remembered I have free RAC road side assistance, so I'm getting a second opinion, haha.