Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr - Vs Engine loom in VP

Customcreations

PORTED GETS IT SORTED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore V6 EcoTech Custom Ported by me
Wiring pinouts sorted then?
I have VN to VS pinout schematics here if still needed I can post them up.

DavoVP

Reaction score
Wiring pinouts sorted then?
I have VN to VS pinout schematics here if still needed I can post them up.

I would greatly appreciate that ! and thanks JXW sorry I have not been able to give much input, I have been swamped with work.

Vlad01

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP vacationer, 95 VR II exec, 92 VP S Pack
There is slight differences between the engine harness to the dash plug, it will plug in but will need some pins moved, as suspected it could end badly if you were to simply plug it in without moving pins.... i didn't go into to much depth in that howto as the images gave a visual representation of what wires go where.

Hopefully the attached image explains it better, the connector is YB62

The top VR one shows the pinout, what ecu pin it connects to and what it does.

The bottom one is the VN pinout, "nc" means it had no connection after i got to the loom andchanges were made to line up the 2 looms to be correct (the labels above and below in the bottom YB62 image indicate what the pin was used for in the VN/VP, so things like the park/neutral switch are no longer used and left blank, VSS signal wire is moved to match the correct ecu pin to drive the speedo etc)

What used to be the trans temp sensor is now used for the pwr/eco button, i cut the wire near the shifter and wired it to the switch (irrelevant for a manual conversion), it went to the correct pin so it was easy to sort out.

View attachment 143076

If i get time i'll try to work the same thing out for VS manual into VN/VP

Ah sweet, if you could please :) That would be greatly appreciated. The Auto loom and manual loom is basically the same for VS isn't it?

when I purchased my ecu it came with the loom, but it was the main body loom and the guy said there wasn't any other loom in his shed and must of got chucked out when the car was stripped. So I need to get a loom eventually. looking at VS schematics is should be the same?

nateshashone

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr belina
There is slight differences between the engine harness to the dash plug, it will plug in but will need some pins moved, as suspected it could end badly if you were to simply plug it in without moving pins.... i didn't go into to much depth in that howto as the images gave a visual representation of what wires go where.

Hopefully the attached image explains it better, the connector is YB62

The top VR one shows the pinout, what ecu pin it connects to and what it does.

The bottom one is the VN pinout, "nc" means it had no connection after i got to the loom andchanges were made to line up the 2 looms to be correct (the labels above and below in the bottom YB62 image indicate what the pin was used for in the VN/VP, so things like the park/neutral switch are no longer used and left blank, VSS signal wire is moved to match the correct ecu pin to drive the speedo etc)

What used to be the trans temp sensor is now used for the pwr/eco button, i cut the wire near the shifter and wired it to the switch (irrelevant for a manual conversion), it went to the correct pin so it was easy to sort out.

View attachment 143076

If i get time i'll try to work the same thing out for VS manual into VN/VP

im wanting to run a vn s2 ecu and engine loom in my vr as the factory manual looms are way too hard to come by , so if i follow this i should be able to run a vn ecu and loom in my vr?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
No, sorry typo in that, it's the VR PCM (auto computer pinout)

VR manual ecu is basically the same as a VN/VP ecu pinout and function wise, you'll just have to concentrate on the engine to dash harness connector, part of the vn/vp body loom that goes through the trans tunnel and the speedo.

nateshashone

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr belina
yeah i know i wasnt even looking at the ecu pinout only the engine loom to dash plug aha

vaxx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Executive S1 Sedan, VR Ute
Apart from there is no major difference on the engine side, you would also have to deal with the auto harness or change the box as well as they run a electronic box as stated.

Cam angle sensor is only on the auto vr's, manual never had one so there no big deal.

Stick to the harness you have. If you want to play, go an aftermarket computer. Which btw, you need you gearbox to run :D

nateshashone

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr belina
im going manual , got my series 2 vn ecu yesterday and loom ill be going ahead with the conversion once i pull the engine out tomorrow and put it onto the engine stand , also putting a vn/vp timing cover on my vr engine to get rid the cam sensor

Last edited:

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
I wouldn't root around changing the timing cover, you'll #### the sump gasket in the process, if you were going to put a new timing chain set in then maybe.
If the engine didn't leak oil before then leave it alone (although it is a buick v6.... it's probably losing enough oil over time that the top ups negate regular oil changes and just changing the filter every 10,000 km's would keep it running in top condition)

nateshashone

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr belina
got the engine out yesterday , yeah its abit of a waste of time the timing cover swap , but yeah the engine is getting new gakets and seals through out new oil pump and pcv valve , and anything else that looks like **** , the engine has oil leaks bad from the valley and sump (its real dirty aha), wasnt sure about it but would the dip stick popping out (it pops out just like 10 mm) be blow by ??? or do they have a thing for the seal on the dipstick it self wearing out? its only got 176000 on it , i got it at 155000 (from the original owner)and yeah i have trashed it but ive serviced it regularly 10,000ks , still goes hard as the day i got it