Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS 05/96 V6 AUTO ACCLAIM

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Unless this car has been either severely boiled or it has been sitting for years with water in the cooling system without it running I think you'll find it's not the head but rather the inlet manifold gasket that's leaking into the combustion chamber. I had a car with only 90,000 k's on it that had been sitting for a long time and it constantly would have coolant leaking into No. 2 and if left long enough it would become hydro locked and I'd have to take the spark plug out to release the build up and then re-install.

I did the gasket set on it and it ran perfect from that point onwards and started without any spluttering every time and even after sitting for a few weeks at a time.

I'm 100% positive that this will be your issue as well as time is the enemy of these original gasket sets.

I bet if you remove the yellow surge tank cap and run your finger around the inside surface of the plastic tank you'll have oiliness on your finger.

Reactions: Lex

buccac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ACCLAIM 3.8 AUTO
Ok I'll check it again but as l said the sputtering has disappeared engine starts normal. If the HG sealant hadn't worked engine wouldn't be clean starting as it is now.
Saying that why am l still l losing coolant?
I'll check the valley again, thanks again l appreciate your help Cheers

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Nothing to check when it comes to Valley gaskets as nothing external will be visible unless it's catastrophic failure.

Mark my words if you do the job properly all your issues will be solved. these Ecotecs suffer from this problem regardless of mileage done. It's time that does this and these Ecotecs are all in that age bracket now and need to be done. I'm about to do my 45,000km engine as that's still all together from original.

Reactions: Lex

buccac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ACCLAIM 3.8 AUTO
Nothing to check when it comes to Valley gaskets as nothing external will be visible unless it's catastrophic failure.

Mark my words if you do the job properly all your issues will be solved. these Ecotecs suffer from this problem regardless of mileage done. It's time that does this and these Ecotecs are all in that age bracket now and need to be done. I'm about to do my 45,000km engine as that's still all together from original.

Last edited: