Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs 304 torque specs

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You have hydraulic lifters so drop in and bolt on the rockers. As you get close you should feel the rocker compress the hydraulic lifter a touch except of course the lifters on the cam lobes, those will open valves.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Chucked the heads on today, this was a mission and a half, would have been easier to pull the motor, neighbour thought it was funny to see me sitting on top of my engine like a monkey torquing the back hex bolt with the alternator bracket up my clacker. My problem is I have torqued heads to vn spec in 3 stages as mentioned above final stage was 102 i torqued them too 100nm. I have spent the rest of the day stewing on weather or not I have fked up, I have since found spec sheet for the vs as above saying to torque head in 2 stages final stage is 83 or 85 I have forgotten already, what's people thoughts, I really don't want to put it back together to have to replace head bolts and gasket again, should I bite the bullet and re do them now before installing inlet and bolt ons or take my chances with what I have done. Appreciate any info as this will keep me awake at night stewing on it.
Just so you know, if you move headers out of the way, rocker covers off, and a few specific rocker arms, you can actually do all the head bolts without removing the intake manifold.

Ask me how I know.

Okay, it's from that time my head studs were leaking coolant into the top end from insufficient sealant.
Backed off torque in sequence. Pulled studs one at a time, cleaned, resealed, and refitted.
Then redid torque sequence.

Dolts

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss bt1 , vt bt1, vs statesman international #1
You have hydraulic lifters so drop in and bolt on the rockers. As you get close you should feel the rocker compress the hydraulic lifter a touch except of course the lifters on the cam lobes, those will open valves.
Thanks mate was hoping for this answer, in regards to the lifters sitting on cam lobe, what do I need to do, simply turn motor over by hand then torque them lifter bolts ?

Dolts

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just so you know, if you move headers out of the way, rocker covers off, and a few specific rocker arms, you can actually do all the head bolts without removing the intake manifold.

Ask me how I know.

Okay, it's from that time my head studs were leaking coolant into the top end from insufficient sealant.
Backed off torque in sequence. Pulled studs one at a time, cleaned, resealed, and refitted.

Ask me how I know.

Thanks for the heads up, unfortunately I dived in head first and pulled inlet manifold off first, figured if I was doing head gasket I may aswell do inlet and throw in some lifter at the same time. Wish I didn't now. Cheers fellas

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yes. You can torque down all the lifter where the valves are closed, then turn the motor over and torque down the others when the valves are closed.

Dolts

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes. You can torque down all the lifter where the valves are closed, then turn the motor over and torque down the others when the valves are closed.
Cheers will watch the video I put up a few more times try to wrap my head around it,

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Thanks for the heads up, unfortunately I dived in head first and pulled inlet manifold off first, figured if I was doing head gasket I may aswell do inlet and throw in some lifter at the same time. Wish I didn't now. Cheers fellas
Nah, you did it right.
I was just saying if you have any issues with the bolts only you can fix it without lifting the intake.

Dolts

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nah, you did it right.
I was just saying if you have any issues with the bolts only you can fix it without lifting the intake.
Good to know cheers Deuce