Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs 304 torque specs

Dolts

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss bt1 , vt bt1, vs statesman international #1
Chucked the heads on today, this was a mission and a half, would have been easier to pull the motor, neighbour thought it was funny to see me sitting on top of my engine like a monkey torquing the back hex bolt with the alternator bracket up my clacker. My problem is I have torqued heads to vn spec in 3 stages as mentioned above final stage was 102 i torqued them too 100nm. I have spent the rest of the day stewing on weather or not I have fked up, I have since found spec sheet for the vs as above saying to torque head in 2 stages final stage is 83 or 85 I have forgotten already, what's people thoughts, I really don't want to put it back together to have to replace head bolts and gasket again, should I bite the bullet and re do them now before installing inlet and bolt ons or take my chances with what I have done. Appreciate any info as this will keep me awake at night stewing on it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200417_143829 (1).jpg
    IMG_20200417_143829 (1).jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 13

Dolts

Reaction score
Members Ride
Chucked the heads on today, this was a mission and a half, would have been easier to pull the motor, neighbour thought it was funny to see me sitting on top of my engine like a monkey torquing the back hex bolt with the alternator bracket up my clacker. My problem is I have torqued heads to vn spec in 3 stages as mentioned above final stage was 102 i torqued them too 100nm. I have spent the rest of the day stewing on weather or not I have fked up, I have since found spec sheet for the vs as above saying to torque head in 2 stages final stage is 83 or 85 I have forgotten already, what's people thoughts, I really don't want to put it back together to have to replace head bolts and gasket again, should I bite the bullet and re do them now before installing inlet and bolt ons or take my chances with what I have done. Appreciate any info as this will keep me awake at night stewing on it.
Also can anyone tell me if the arrows on the rocker arm pivot bolt brackets face inwards or outwards picture is too large to upload cheers for the help.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It'll be fine torquing them to the specs you have

Dolts

Reaction score
Members Ride
It'll be fine torquing them to the specs you have
Cheers for the reply vc commodore, well thats reassuring. I'll take my chance as I really don't want to ever do head gaskets again. Do you know if the arrow on the rocker pivot arm bracket faces inwards or outwards cheers

Dolts

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers for the reply vc commodore, well thats reassuring. I'll take my chance as I really don't want to ever do head gaskets again. Do you know if the arrow on the rocker pivot arm bracket faces inwards or outwards cheers

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Not sure sorry

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
They are on. I'd leave it. Worst case, you have over-torqued the bolts a bit, they won't fail but should they ever be taken out I'd consider replacing them.

Dolts

Reaction score
Members Ride
They are on. I'd leave it. Worst case, you have over-torqued the bolts a bit, they won't fail but should they ever be taken out I'd consider replacing them.Thanks mate, I'll sell the car before I do another head gasket.
thanks mate, I'll sell the car before I do another head gasket swap

Sorry for all the questions

Can anyone tell me, when installing new stock replacement lifter is it as simple as drop in torque rocker arm pivot bolts or do I need to do what this bloke is doing in this video

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240404_192307_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20240404_192307_eBay.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 11