Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS 5.0 - Where did you relocate your coil? Photos, please

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Thanks mate. I'm running the AU fans. They switch on independently too, so it still runs a low stage fan (one fan turns on) and high stage (both fans running).

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
I put mine here, it was more out of a quick placement, 5 years later its still there

IMG_1070.jpg

crumpledoor#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 1997 BT1 5.0
I put mine here, it was more out of a quick placement, 5 years later its still there

IMG_1070.jpg

Cheers for the photo. I cant mount mine there due to the LPG pump already being mounted in that spot. I did mount it on the other strut tower, just in front of the brake fluid reservoir. Not the most aesthetic spot to mount it but at least its easily accessible & will keep cool.

Big thanks to all that helped. The people on this site are so helpful and the information you can obtain is invaluable. Last week I knew nothing about ignition modules, etc. Now I know the ins & outs of the entire ignition system. Fantastic site and fantastic people!!!

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Finally got around to relocating the ignition coil in my wife's VS Clubsport. Last time I changed the coil/distributor cap/rotor (as preventative maintenance) was 10 years ago and I remembered that it was a bugger (to put it mildly) of a job due to the lack of clearance. This time was even worse, and trying to get tools, like a side cutter and crimper to extend the electrical wiring, was almost impossible. Only had to redo the lead positions on the distributor cap once when I got them out of sequence - thank goodness for numbered ignition leads. Only took three days for the chest bruises to go away from lying on the top of the engine, even though I used padding. Changed the coil a number of times on my 383 VS Calais, but I was spoilt because the Motec TTB manifold I was using provided more clearance, which made the job easier but still not pleasant. Final result attached:
VS Clubsport Ignition Coil Relocated (5c).jpg

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
You had a motec manifold?! Like the flowcraft one? Very nice looking thing, shame they’re so rare.

How long ago did you sell the Calais? I saw one for sale probably 8 years or so ago on eBay with a 383 and would have loved to buy it.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sold it in 2016 for a steal, considering what had gone into it.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dark Amethyst (purple/black).
upload_2019-10-13_16-33-13.png

Last edited: