Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Aircon with outside air selected, feel heat by my left leg

DexterVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equipe S2
Hi All,

I am wondering about what might be happening when I run the air conditioner with the vent dial turned to the front 'demister'. I can feel heat originating from behind the dash, by my left leg. The plastic of the dash gets very warm.

From reading I've been doing there are pipes behind there from the cooling system but is it correct that these would heat up when using the demister position? There is the dial position which has blue lines with red lines underneath, which implies the cool air in the top vents and warm air in the lower, but should this be the case for all outside air selection positions?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
There's likely a vacuum leak somewhere.
Also using the AC with fresh air is just making it harder to get your AC cold.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
Hi All,

I am wondering about what might be happening when I run the air conditioner with the vent dial turned to the front 'demister'. I can feel heat originating from behind the dash, by my left leg. The plastic of the dash gets very warm.

From reading I've been doing there are pipes behind there from the cooling system but is it correct that these would heat up when using the demister position? There is the dial position which has blue lines with red lines underneath, which implies the cool air in the top vents and warm air in the lower, but should this be the case for all outside air selection positions?
blue is cold red is hot simple but if you are getting heat when the dial turn to blue than could be something wrong with heater tap,vacumn leak

and there is a white clip with rod near those 2 pipes it hits a button when you turn the dial to blue it turns the heater off that can be adjusted and does your aircon work

DexterVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equipe S2
Apologies all, I don’t think I explained it properly. Being summer, I have the temperature selector on cold. However because it has rained allot in Melbourne the windows fog up sometimes, so i turn it to the de-mister and having the AC on at that time clears the windows quickr.

Attached is a photo of the vent selector where you can see the blue and red line position, which is where I expect to feel heat by my ankle. When the dial is pointed at the internal circulation position, there is no heat generated from behind the dash. However should I feel heat when I have any of the other positions selected?

If there was a vacuum leak, would i not expect to hear a constant air leak kind of sound?

blue is cold red is hot simple but if you are getting heat when the dial turn to blue than could be something wrong with heater tap,vacumn leak

and there is a white clip with rod near those 2 pipes it hits a button when you turn the dial to blue it turns the heater off that can be adjusted and does your aircon work
Thanks for the tip about blue and red. This will make showering heaps better :)

Attachments

• IMG_5609.jpg
    IMG_5609.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 39

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
Apologies all, I don’t think I explained it properly. Being summer, I have the temperature selector on cold. However because it has rained allot in Melbourne the windows fog up sometimes, so i turn it to the de-mister and having the AC on at that time clears the windows quickr.

Attached is a photo of the vent selector where you can see the blue and red line position, which is where I expect to feel heat by my ankle. When the dial is pointed at the internal circulation position, there is no heat generated from behind the dash. However should I feel heat when I have any of the other positions selected?

If there was a vacuum leak, would i not expect to hear a constant air leak kind of sound?

Thanks for the tip about blue and red. This will make showering heaps better :)
i never use that setting just the other 4 and ac is always on, i just use the temp dial if gets to hot or cold

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Left leg hot, means there is coolant going through the core.

As with stick3 I'm unsure if that dial position let's coolant through, but I doubt it would if the temp dial is all the way cold which turns the heater tap off.

Most likely you have a vacuum leak or stuck heater valve.
You can see if the valve moves easily by hand moving the tap lever

That or the coolant system is too pressurised and forcing the tap open.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Left leg hot, means there is coolant going through the core.

As with stick3 I'm unsure if that dial position let's coolant through, but I doubt it would if the temp dial is all the way cold which turns the heater tap off.

Most likely you have a vacuum leak or stuck heater valve.
You can see if the valve moves easily by hand moving the tap lever

That or the coolant system is too pressurised and forcing the tap open.

I'm sure from memory the valve is a ball type so pressure can't act on it.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Hopefully the after market ones are the same internally, but good to note.

DexterVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equipe S2
Because i can’t detect any heat from behind the dash when the selector is pointed towards the internal, recycled air, would that not eliminate the coolant system being overly pressurised? I would have thought if it were being forced open, it would do it on all vent positions.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
heater taps should be replaced at least every 10 years they become brittle and break can cause very expansive repair only 20 - 40 bucks