Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Aircon with outside air selected, feel heat by my left leg

Grimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series II Ute
The vacuum switch to activate the heater tap is a small black plastic piston secured in place by two screws actuated by a white cam lever behind the console kick panel cover in the drivers left footwell. The temperature dial actuates this with a cable. The default position for the piston is ‘hot’ so when the plastic cam wears down or the clip securing the cable breaks, the heater core is constantly fully hot irrespective the setting on the dial. Of the cam level is worn it’s sometimes possible to tilt the piston forward to compensate. Of not then a small strip of sheet metal can be glued to it to make up for the wear (this is what I’ve done to fix mine). If the clip is broken then it can be repaired by zip tying the clip onto the cable.

To check you need to remove the console kick panel then troubleshoot by actuating the climate dial and seeing if the heater tap actuator is working. Push the piston in with your finger all the way to confirm the heater tap is working first.