Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs brake discs onto vp???

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
the VB>VP front discs are an integral hub/disc unit, meaning the wheels hub and bearing assembly is also the disc brake. the VR> has a separate hub that the disc slips on over the studs and then the wheel bolts to that. so VR on disc brakes wont just swap over as a unit, however, with a slight modification to the bearing in the strut top, im about 80% sure that the VR> front struts and ball joint will bolt onto the VN/VP control arms (and then also allow camber adjustment) seems like a bit of a stuff around but would be the cheaper option to buying an adaptor package to make it work.

i had VR control arms and struts actually mounted in a VN i had, but the bearing in the strut mount was too small so the struts just sort of sat there ( i never got to drive it BTW ) so if you were to use VR control arms, i could guarantee it would fit and but couldnt 100% guarantee that your brakes would fit. however it would be much easier to adapt a VRfront end than it would be to adapt a VN type fornt end.

phew. lol

ryan21

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 vn calais v6
my advice. is spend the extra cash and do the vt upgrade with the vt booster as well unless you can get the whole setup cheap like me i paid $5 for the entire v8 strut assembly and $50 for mc and booster. the v8 mc,booster and calipers etc made it a lot better compared to what it was but after you drive your mates vy its still disapointing to say the least..

lowvpcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
E2 Maloo R8 #0422, Grange 255 ls1 #0036 & #0167
a mate of mine is stripping a vp v8 calais and said i can have whatever i want i just have to take it off, i can still get the booster but i didnt think i would need it lol
as for the vt upgrade ive had that before and didnt like it at all plus i got the senator calipers for $20!
i havent had time to get onto hoppers stoppers does anyone know the rough price of the adaptors?
i was thinking about retro-fitting the vr-vs struts onto the vp klampy, but like you said and from the info ive gathered it seems like a difficult and unsafe route to travel

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
VR/VS have a wider front track, therefore the control arms arm longer (as they use the same mounting point in the K frame). you could drill new mounting points in the K frame, however then your going to have bump steer issues because the steering rack with is going to be to wide.

K-Mac do a adjustable strut top to suit late model commodores which uses a 3 bolt design like the early commodores. this may be a viable option. i've spent some time looking into this modification but haven't yet found a cheap viable way to do it using factory parts to keep the correct track width without having to customise stuff

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
We might be drifting a little off topic here given that it's about fitting VS Senator brakes to a VP. I don't think that the wider track would be an issue as VP/VQ with IRS and VN Grp A and SV5000 run a track width close to VR-VS (using more positive wheel offset). Good used steering racks (tie rods) are pretty cheap. You could also swap in a VR or VS rear axle to match.

More difficult is to get the top of the strut as far back as it is in the VR-VS. Park a VN-VP next to a VR-VS or measure and I think that you are going to run into sheet metal before you get the strut top as far back as it needs to go to maintain the VR-VS caster.

To do it right would involve swapping in the strut towers from a VR-VS (the rest of the inner structure is essentially the same bar a few minor creases); easy for any panel shop, even possible for a skilled amateur, but beyond a simple weekend "bolt on".

I think the VN-VP to VR-VS hubs are around $300 per set but may be sized to suit the VT discs with a bigger centre hole. They might be able to do custom versions though.

The DBA catalogue, available online, has sufficient dimensional information to determine if the Senator calipers can be used with the VN Grp A/SV5000 discs.

lowvpcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
E2 Maloo R8 #0422, Grange 255 ls1 #0036 & #0167
thanks guys i think i might just get the discs with hub adaptors and go from there lol but i do seriously appreciate all the info and time out you have all taken to help me
dave