Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs buick conversion need help

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Blah! I miss the old holden straight 6's...the Nissan/VL was just a fill gap as the they had killed the old motor trying to stay up with emissions...miss my black motor VK it would smoke all that jap powered crap :D bar the turbo....The buick was at least GM even though it was a revamped tractor/jeep motor...The elmotech was just a buick with a better head job..... and we all know what a difference a good head job makes....:D

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
I clearly remember when we lost our EA Falcon as a group vehicle at work and it was replaced with a VN Series II everyone wanted the Falcon back. Being a Holden person I was disgusted at the VN and was ashamed to say that I also wanted the EA back. It was just an all round better car.

Wow, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they preferred an EA to a VN! I've owned all those late 80/early 90s Commodores and Falcons and without exception the Fords were bland, uninspiring, fuel-guzzling, poor handling, but comfortable cars. The VN was just a little bit more special in most areas - the vibro-V6 was genuinely quick, better on fuel and multi-point EFI with standard 4-speed or 5-speed (base EA were drip and piddle single injection/3-speed). Interior was nicer in VN... plus it had a V8 if you wanted one! And things like Clubsports, Group As and SV5000 being sold alongside Executives was better for resale/street cred. Granddad bought the EA :)

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Brettly you pretty much mentioned most of the main differences and thus most of those appealed to many of the Government employee folk. The Falcon was much smoother to drive and far more of a comfortable car opposed to the VN. Yes the Holden was far quicker but in saying that it was far harsher in the driveline compared to the Ford.

Me personally I've always hated the dash styling and layout. It was awful compared to the VL and that bloody gawdy looking bus sized steering wheel compared to it's VL counterpart was just deplorable. As Losh mentioned above, things in the styling area become better with VP on the exterior and VR was an instant hit with it's totally revised bodywork and dash layout. The level 1 and 2 instrument clusters to me were always an ugly lobsided cluster, just no symmetry there at all while the Level 3 was absolutely superb.