Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Caprice S3 steering wheel swap with S2 steering wheel.

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II/BMW '02 E39 530i
Hi all,

Was just wondering if anybody knows if the series 3 steering wheel can be replaced with a series 2 steering wheel in a VS Statesman/caprice?

And more importantly, will the airbag remain operational?

Cheers.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
As said above, I am fairly sure the S3 had the VT spline....which is slightly larger

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry if this seems stupid, I've never changed a steering wheel before. But what you guys are referring to is the little shaft the actual steering wheel fits on to?

By photo they look really similar.
ve4ebaqe.jpg
umegury6.jpg

The only difference I notice is the little holes on each side of the hole in the center seem 1-2mm further out on the series 2 wheel.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
the center spline is what we are referring to.

The pic on the right looks slightly larger but that could just be camera angle

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
I'm pretty sure james909 on here has a WH steering wheel on his VR statesman, or at least a WH horn pad and airbag on a VR wheel. maybe drop him a PM and ask him how he did it. I don't think he gets any airbag faults either.

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
Lol I actually want the opposite - I must have worded this incorrectly. There's an s3 caprice that I'm likely to buy which has the beige/grey sorta colored steering wheel that looks really similar to a VT steering wheel.

The steering wheel is in **** condition, and I've always preferred the series 2 steering wheel anyway (black, VS style). I wanted to know if its possible to swap the S3 steering wheel with a S2 steering wheel. The whole wheel too, not just the cover.

I'm mostly worried about the airbag because I don't know how it all works so it puts a bit of fear in me playing with a thing like that. I'd hate to find that it doesn't deploy when I need it most.

James909

James
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
Oh alright, now I get it and I'm not too sure how you change the Series 2 steering wheel whole to Series 3 caprice. I think the VS Series 3 is using like VT setup but not too sure. Where the **** Series 3 steering wheel? like worn out leather?

For airbag, You would have to use VR/VS type of hornpad plug because the VT onward is different type.