Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs clubsport coil pack relocation

Cjz hsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs clubsport
hey guys
I have a misfire problem on my vs clubby.
I have replaced the ignition module.
New dizzy cap and rotor button.
New plugs and leads.
And still have a misfire.
I think it’s a misfire as it putts or struggles when taking off and under acceleration.
I’m thinking coil pack now, but it looks like a bit of a mission. I’ve seen some theat have been moved just wonder how I would do that and will I need to remove the old one. Thanks

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You'll need to pull the old one to get to the wires and depending on where you move it you may need to extend those wires to suit. It's in a prick of a position on the back of the engine. Personally, I'd remove the bonnet which is fairly simple if you have a mate around to assist.

Cjz hsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs clubsport
Thanks for that
Yes it’s in a prick of a spot and taking bonnet off will be a lot easier.
I just hope this solves my problem. If this doesn’t work I don’t know what to do next

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I’ve done quite a few. I just put an old pillow down over the rad support and inlet manifold and lay down. They’re not that difficult when you can see what you’re doing from that position.

I’ve relocated my coil to behind the drivers side strut tower. I’ve also relocated the ignition module to behind the passenger side strut tower.

You don’t need to remove the old coil though - just cut the wires and lengthen as required. Apparently the noise suppression capacitors have a limited life and can affect the life of the ignition module too so probably worth replacing it while you’re there.

However, coils tend to die suddenly I’ve found. Ignition modules tend to give symptoms under load (e.g. cruising at 1500rpm with converter locked at 80 mine would stumble but at higher revs would seem fine but eventually gave out and wouldn’t rev). Ignition module is by far the most common issue on these. I always keep a spare in the boot, along with a spare coil.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I'm looking at doing this relocation on my wife's VS Clubsport. What gauge wire did you use to extend the old wires, and what did you use for a longer coil -> distributor lead? Agree with your comment on coils dying suddenly.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I'm looking at doing this relocation on my wife's VS Clubsport. What gauge wire did you use to extend the old wires, and what did you use for a longer coil -> distributor lead? Agree with your comment on coils dying suddenly.
I just used some wire that was the same size as original - may have been rated at 10a?

I measured the length from dizzy to coil and went to supercheap and found one the right length. They're only around $10 or so for a single bosch lead. Mines still working well - drive it every day.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Thanks for the reply. It occurred to me after I posted, that the main voltage/current would be via the distributor -> coil lead, and the other two wires were basically signal wires and normal engine bay wire would be sufficient for them. A project for me as soon as I get my damm VF2 GTS fixed properly.