Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs cold air intake

vsv6dude

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 wagon
A lot of the OTR 's turn out to be heat soak night mares .

Which was designed and approved by OEM.

BTW the SS inductions unit is similar to the OEM super 6 OTR CAI, but at about 4 times the price though, which confirms the OTR CAI design can't be that bad.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Which was designed and approved by OEM.

BTW the SS inductions unit is similar to the OEM super 6 OTR CAI, but at about 4 times the price though, which confirms the OTR CAI design can't be that bad.

That doesn't confirm anything. The SS Reductions kit is visibly larger in the hope people will think oh it's larger thus it has to be better and then proceed to get ripped off. Good idea in theory but terrible in real world situations.

vsv6dude

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 wagon
That doesn't confirm anything. The SS Reductions kit is visibly larger in the hope people will think oh it's larger thus it has to be better and then proceed to get ripped off. Good idea in theory but terrible in real world situations.

Reread my post I said the SS Inductions kit is about 4 times the cost of the OEM Super 6 CAI meaning the OEM Super 6 is excellent value for money.

If OEMs are using that OTR design it does mean something.

If Pods are so great how many OEMs using them? Ford had one on a FPV vehicle some years ago but switched back to a cold air box design.

In my first post in this thread I suggested the cheapest way to get more cold air is to just drill a 75mm diameter hole on the extreme right side the bottom half of the cold air box facing the back of the headlight and keep the standard air intake duct (This is about the biggest you make it without losing too much meat between the standard duct intake or you will weaken the airbox). This 75mm opening will overcome the need for the intake snorkel over the radiator and will get rid of the heat soak.

In the real world conditions I doubt you will notice more than 1 kw difference between my suggestion and the "best" Pod system.

There is only so much air or cold air these V6s can suck. BTW the V6 VS air box is the same size as the V8 VS commodore air box (the only difference was the OTR snorkel design) and it has the same size air filter. For V6 street mods my suggestion will provide all the air the VS V6 will ever need IMO.

Last edited:

WazzaV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline
I have a 95 vs acclaim with a 2.5inch cat back exhaust, and was wondering is it possible to put the cold air intake from a vt into my vs

If its going to cost much money I wouldn't bother it's a VS. I like the idea of drilling a large hole in the existing box and maybe silicon a flexi pipe from the hole to draw air from under the car or at least low down....hot air rises.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
A couple of weeks ago I pulled the snorkel OTR off, when fitting my intercooler. Didn't bother putting it back on given the work I'll be doing next weekend, so it's just the air box and extender pointing into the engine bay. The heat soak is definitely an issue, specifically in traffic. Once you've been stop starting and the temp gets up should you open the throttle it'll just grab a lungful of hot air, til you get moving and cool the plastic. I noticed this on a few of the roundabouts I queue for in the morning, the response hesitation wasn't prevalent with the snorkel gone.

So yep, the OEM is perfectly valid - on a car that doesn't stop start. Impractical for a daily. Mace or home-made gets my vote.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
You've just saved me $300 then wraith if you are right about the SS Inductions OTR intake.
My guess is that the heat soak is coming from the radiator...?

Yes it does.
Reread my post I said the SS Inductions kit is about 4 times the cost of the OEM Super 6 CAI meaning the OEM Super 6 is excellent value for money.

If OEMs are using that OTR design it does mean something.

If Pods are so great how many OEMs using them? Ford had one on a FPV vehicle some years ago but switched back to a cold air box design.

In my first post in this thread I suggested the cheapest way to get more cold air is to just drill a 75mm diameter hole on the extreme right side the bottom half of the cold air box facing the back of the headlight and keep the standard air intake duct (This is about the biggest you make it without losing too much meat between the standard duct intake or you will weaken the airbox). This 75mm opening will overcome the need for the intake snorkel over the radiator and will get rid of the heat soak.

In the real world conditions I doubt you will notice more than 1 kw difference between my suggestion and the "best" Pod system.

There is only so much air or cold air these V6s can suck. BTW the V6 VS air box is the same size as the V8 VS commodore air box (the only difference was the OTR snorkel design) and it has the same size air filter. For V6 street mods my suggestion will provide all the air the VS V6 will ever need IMO.

What the hell are you on about. In no way did your original post say it was excellent value for money. FPV still use pod filters on their latest supercharged 8.... Also who doesn't know the airboxes are the same size between V8 and V6.

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
Well, thanks for saving me some cashola wraith!

So what about the MACE CAI then wraith, no heat soak there besides the headlight (I kid I kid!) :p
Been eying one off for a while now, some time I will get one though.

vsv6dude

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 wagon
Well, thanks for saving me some cashola wraith!

So what about the MACE CAI then wraith, no heat soak there besides the headlight (I kid I kid!) :p
Been eying one off for a while now, some time I will get one though.

I will spell it out one last time.

In my first post in this thread I suggested the cheapest way to get more cold air is to just drill a 75mm diameter hole on the extreme right side the bottom half of the cold air box facing the back of the headlight and keep the standard air intake duct. You don't need to get a MACE Pod setup as it will not draw any more cold air than the VS V6 can suck with no heat soak as well.

The OEM Super 6 used to be about $80 or so approx 1/4 of the price of the SS Inductions kit, so the OEM Super 6 is better value for a OTR CAI if thats what you intended to by. If an OTR CAI setup for a VS V8 can produce enough air for 185kw at the flywheel then the Super 6 OEM setup is more than adequate for the VS V6 street mods.

If you are bent on getting a MACE Pod CAI setup in the future good for you.

However, you could save even more cashola if you.........!!!!!

skappascrap

Herp is for the derp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VY SV8
I did read what you said the first time mate, I was only being a smart ass to wraith.
There's no harm in trying your idea either though, worth a shot sometime, sound similar tithe VZ 90mm hole mod :)

Sent via iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.