Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS commodore CAS or Fuel Pump? Fuel pump new BUT not priming on accessories

Pickled

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Any more info with this? Think I might have the same problem.

sticksicks

Reaction score
Members Ride
yer ma
In SA, the RAA tells me that a faulty fuel pump in these commies will work to a point(noisily) and then simply die. No more starting!
It's a good idea in hot weather to not run around with less than a quarter of a tank, as this helps keep these pumps cool.

tomo955

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk sadan vr sadan and wagon
Hey guys new to the forum, been checking out related posts and I need a few answers to my questions before i go spending a big amount of money. My car stalled on me whilst driving a few times, and i managed to start her back up again, but after a few times it wouldnt start at all. At first (after it had stalled a few times) I change my fuel filter, it ran fine BUT the next day it stalled again and this time it wouldnt start no matter how many times i tried. I then changed the fuel pump over, and after many many attempts to kick it over it started and ran for about a minute or two and died. Could it be my crank angle sensor? I turned the accessories on, and i do NOT hear my fuel pump turn on, or make a noise (prime) I have thumped the bottom of the tank, changed the fuses in the relay and still nothing. Does the CAS have to be fully operating in order for the fuel pump to prime (start pumping fuel) Or will i hear it prime regardless of the crank angle sensor? I havent got a conclusive answer on this - i would think if the CAS is screwed then the ECU and BCM wouldnt give the fuel pump the power (or go-ahead) to start up. So my main question is: Does the fuel pump prime regardless of the condition of the CAS? Or does the CAS have to be operational (or partly operational) in order for the pump to prime? My worry is, if the CAS has nothing to do with the fuel pump starting up then i may have an electronic gremlin, or fault to worry about as the pump is new and ive checked twice now to see if it was installed correctly. The pump just isnt starting at all.

(ive tried the cold water trick on the CAS - didnt work, but i tired this after the 6th stall and the CAS would probably be beyond resurection at this point - and screwed) so I doubt thatd help make a difference

Thanks guys, any help would be appreciated

1)BCM (Body Control Module) can lock out fuel pump if your car has an alarm or immobilizer try locking your car for 5 mins then unlock again and start within 30 seconds, sometimes BCM will go into an anti theft mode and lock its self and will need to be replace (about $50 with keys and ignition barrel from the wreckers)

2) did you grease the rubber o-rings supplied with the fuel pump?

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
Lol, the first thing you need to check is that you are getting 12v to the fuel pump connector when in the ''on'' position.

If you arent then you need to trace it back to the relay.

If you check resistance and are getting a clear reading that all the wires are connected then it must be the BCM.

It really shouldnt be that hard to trace if you do it this way.

workvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute / ve thunder
Nice thread dig

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Old thread, Anyway, if the fuel pump does not run for 2 seconds when the ignition switch is first turned to the ON position, and theres no obvious faults anywhere, (relays,fuses etc), then Id start by connecting 12 volts from a car battery straight to the fuel pump power wire at the rear of the car. This will confirm that the pump is either working or not. The main power wire for the fuel pump on the VR and VS commys, is a Violet wire. Some would call it purple but its listed in the workshop manuals I have as Violet, so thats what Ive called it. Also its easy to forget that the fuel pump power wire will only have power for 2 seconds after the ignition switch is turned to the ON position. The switch has to be turned on and off repeatedly every 10 seconds or so whilst testing for fuel pump power. The pump will only start to run continuously (continuous power supply to the pump) once the engine is running.

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
1)BCM (Body Control Module) can lock out fuel pump if your car has an alarm or immobilizer try locking your car for 5 mins then unlock again and start within 30 seconds, sometimes BCM will go into an anti theft mode and lock its self and will need to be replace (about $50 with keys and ignition barrel from the wreckers)

2) did you grease the rubber o-rings supplied with the fuel pump?

He may of fixed it already he posted this on 29-11-2010..

People really need to check the date before they reply...

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
It doesnt matter if its an old thread. If somebody has the same problem and searches it will help them. Nothing worse than finding a thread with the exact problem youre having and theres no info in it...

GypsyNz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Wagon Ls1 & Vn Wagon
**** of a problem, got one here. Thought it was the fuel pump as no fuel up front so went & bought a new fuel pump for $150 today & fitted that only to find no power at the pump. Have tried another ecu in it & put a new oil pressure switch is today as well but no go, tried bridging the relay but still no power to the pump.
Chucked another battery down back & powered the pump off that & away she went so its got me beat, thinking i might just run a separate power wire down to the pump off the ignition if i cant locate the issue soon - was weird drove home fine the night before & next morning shes a dead unit