Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Commodore climate control diagnostic check

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
mine was doing the same thing after taking it out for my stereo install. I unplugged it and replugged it in while the car was running and it then read the right temp. I never touched it again. Why would plugging it in while the engine was running make a difference? FIIK, but it did. Might be worth a try, but plugging something in with the engine running is not a good practice.

struggo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline + 2013 FG MKII G6ET
mine was doing the same thing after taking it out for my stereo install. I unplugged it and replugged it in while the car was running and it then read the right temp. I never touched it again. Why would plugging it in while the engine was running make a difference? FIIK, but it did. Might be worth a try, but plugging something in with the engine running is not a good practice.

Same thing happened to me (ref radio install) except I cannot get it work now.

I have tried 5 different head units and went to another sparky today who did a full test with only one error coming back faulting both head units I had at the time. :cry:

Anyway I picked up some diagnostic info and made a pdf file for all to have :w00t:

Cheers
Struggo

Attachments

• VR VS CLIMATE CONTROL DIAGNOSTIC CHECK.pdf
    373.7 KB · Views: 5,017

JcB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Series II
Thanks struggo...

Easy to print off and work in the car. Thanks again for the PDF.

calais_SC6

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 VS Calais
l can't get the main screen to display? any help?

wayne thomas

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Statesman 5L
Thx for the feedback guys,

I followed your steps above and came up with the following,

You can have the ignition on and then press "AMP" followed by the "Off" as it also. This also worked for me.

Once in the diagnostic check it will display a tick that all is fine. It then displayed 55 degrees.

1/ I then pressed "AUTO" and number "1" was displayed in the bottom left corner. The unit then displayed 55 degrees.

2/ Then by pressing the up button I believe it lets you check the individual sensors. But I don't know what each number represents.

After the initial pressing of the "UP" button, number "1" was displayed indicating "55" degrees.

3/ Pushing the "Up" button again a number "2" was displayed indicating "28" degrees.

4/ Pushing the "Up" button again the numbers "1" & "2" where displayed indicating "28" degrees.

5/ Pushing the "Up" button again a number "3" indicating 33 degrees.

6/ Pushing the "Up" button again the numbers "1" & "3" where displayed indicating "55" degrees.

7/ Pushing the "Up" button again the numbers "2" & "3" where displayed. It now shows only a numerical reading of "0"

8/ Pushing the "Up" button again the numbers "1" "2" & "3" where displayed. It now shows only a numerical reading of "0"

9/ Pushing the "Up" button again the letter "A" was shown indicating "73".

What each of these readings are for I have no idea. I believe the first four readings are sensor readings. But which sensors? :bang:

The are also a few other checks possible also. But who knows what they are?

I then installed my OLD VR unit and the reading where identical except the VR unit is stuck on an "AMB" reading of "55" before and after starting the car.

The newer unit (VS) is stamped 1998 and actually runs down to "16" degrees where's the VR unit will only go as low as "18" degrees. The VS unit will display the correct "AMB" temp when the reds are on and 9 out 10 times **** itself after starting the car and displayed either "55" or -"30" degrees. ON the odd start a cross is displayed on this unit whilst kicking the car over.

I think both units are faulty :cry: :ranting: :cry: :ranting: :bang: :rip:

Cheers
Struggo

Ive been playing with my cooling systema bit lately as im doing hoses,thermstat etc, my CC has a problem as when u turn car off the fans keep blowing. I know what it may be simple fix.. I played with CC diagnostic.n similar things showed on mine,vents would change when button pressed n so would heat to air con. Think i changed a couple settings to sumfin else but its all still working xcpt wont turn off !

struggo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline + 2013 FG MKII G6ET
Ive been playing with my cooling systema bit lately as im doing hoses,thermstat etc, my CC has a problem as when u turn car off the fans keep blowing. I know what it may be simple fix.. I played with CC diagnostic.n similar things showed on mine,vents would change when button pressed n so would heat to air con. Think i changed a couple settings to sumfin else but its all still working xcpt wont turn off !

Double check all of the vacuum hoses are connected properly as this can cause many an issue.

Nuskvlct

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator 185i
Same thing happened to me (ref radio install) except I cannot get it work now.

I have tried 5 different head units and went to another sparky today who did a full test with only one error coming back faulting both head units I had at the time. :cry:

Anyway I picked up some diagnostic info and made a pdf file for all to have :w00t:

Cheers
Struggo

Hi Struggo

Not sure if you're still around, but where did you get this info from.

I have run the diagnostic on the climate control and Water Valve bit does not seem to be working correctly.

in the diagnostic it says there should be No vacuum at the Water Valve (is this heater tap??) during the the first stage, and then Vacuum at it when you press UP for the second stage.

Mine is reversed. I have Vacuum at the first stage and No vacuum at the second stage. Any ideas?

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
do you get heat and cold as expected when the temperature is set hot and cold? does the valve move when you set it hot and cold? Yes it's the water valve in the engine bay to block or allow coolant through the heater