Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS commodore Fuel pump draining 0.74a

tiersum

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Equipe
argh got ya that makes more sence ill check later cheers

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
I thought the fuel pump fuse went straight to the fuel pump??? The purple wire yeah.
My thoughts is someone has mistakenly hooked somthing up to this thinking it just to be a standard Accesories wire. Eg: they did some testing to find a acc wire and just stumbled on this one and used it.
Is there anything non standard hooked in that might be causing this?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I thought the fuel pump fuse went straight to the fuel pump??? The purple wire yeah.
My thoughts is someone has mistakenly hooked somthing up to this thinking it just to be a standard Accesories wire. Eg: they did some testing to find a acc wire and just stumbled on this one and used it.
Is there anything non standard hooked in that might be causing this?

Apparently the oil pressure switch powers the fuel pump once the engine oil pressure is up - it's a safety thing so that if the engine stops in a prang/rollover, oil pressure will drop and power to the pump is cut so you don't have fuel spraying everywhere and then....bang.

Yousay: Is there anything non standard hooked in that might be causing this?......aftermarket immobilisers can drain power so that's a good point.

moff_man

operation HQ under way.
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR II berlina wagon v6, 72 HQ ute 253
Apparently the oil pressure switch powers the fuel pump once the engine oil pressure is up - it's a safety thing so that if the engine stops in a prang/rollover, oil pressure will drop and power to the pump is cut so you don't have fuel spraying everywhere and then....bang.

Yousay: Is there anything non standard hooked in that might be causing this?......aftermarket immobilisers can drain power so that's a good point.

why is it than when the oil light comes on the car dosent cut out? i drove my car around for a solid week with a faulty oil pressure sensor and i still had fuel pressure, i also disconnected the sensor and it still started, i haven't seen the diagram in a while but are they in series or parallel?

and what i was meaning about the lights if the switch was left in the on pos even tho the lights turn off with the door the bcm for some reason will draw current and flatten the battery. its happened to my car, and since i turn the light switch to off before leaving the car,i haven't had a flat battery in a while. it usually happens over night not a quick run in to the shops.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
the circuit
fuelpumpcircuit.jpg

but you need oil pressure if the fuel pump relay fails or computer takes feed off relay for the pump to keep working until you get home
If fuel pump relay is not energised ,12v can be fed from oil pressure switch (if engine has oil pressure)through contacts 87a and 30 of fuel pump relay to the fuel pump.....if ecm puts 12v on coil of fuel pump relay then 12v from fuse 23 feeds through contacts 87 and 30 of relay to fuel pump

Last edited:

tiersum

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Equipe
i do have a aftermarket immobiliser that was installed by a coconut so maybe he has #$%^^&$# something =/

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
why is it than when the oil light comes on the car dosent cut out? i drove my car around for a solid week with a faulty oil pressure sensor and i still had fuel pressure, i also disconnected the sensor and it still started, i haven't seen the diagram in a while but are they in series or parallel?

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I'd guess that no oil pressure + no engine revolutions means the ECU cuts power to the fuel pump. This is indicated by when you first start the car, the ECU primes the fuel pump for about 2 seconds, engine starts and oil pressure builds and the oil pressure switch then powers the fuel pump. If the engine doesn't start and the ignition is still on, the fuel pump does not pump. Otherwise, the fuel pump would be running whenever the ignition is on and the engine stopped. The wiring diagram does not explain what parameters the ECU needs to supply power to the FP relay.
No oil pressure does not seem to cause the ECU to cut power, but no oil pressure plus no engine revs will cut the power.

Last edited:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
the oil pressure switch is a backup circuit should the relay fail or the ecu goes into limp home mode means the fuel pump will run when oil pressure comes up from cranking so you can get home.