Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Commodore SS Bodykit front bar replacement

AlexVSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Holden VS Commodore S, 3.8 n/a
I have a car which up until today had a SS bodykit, front and rear lips, and side skirts. Somehow the front bar has come loose and fallen off, and as a result is now missing in action. The original screw's had long since failed and it was being held on by Sikaflex so I guess its not a complete surprise.

I've been looking for a replacement and as far as I can see there are very few options for replacement. A lot of fancy VY styled kits but none for the humble SS lip which I find a shame as I liked the more subtle look of the SS kit.

Other than waiting to find another SS to be wrecked and getting a second hand kit off it, are there any options for a replacement? I'd prefer plastic but would consider fiberglass if it is all that is available at a reasonable price. I'm going to guess that genuine is no longer an available option and any replacement will be an aftermarket part?

I have also noticed some Statesman and Caprice models have a similar looking front bar, is one of them also an option if available?

Thanks to anyone who can help me here.

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
the vs statesman and caprice front bar is different as they had different guards.
you can make them fit by cutting the bit that lines up with the guard to suit the standard cars. will depend on how good you do it to what it looks like.

theres a vs front bar lip on ebay Holden Commodore VS SS Front Bumper Lower LIP 04 95 07 97 95 96 97 in Edgeworth, NSW | eBay

the ss front bar is the same as the base models just have to cut out slots for the foglight covers and front skirt (lip) etc to fit.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
So you're whole front bar fell off without you noticing ? Or just the lip ?

I'm going to guess that genuine is no longer an available option and any replacement will be an aftermarket part?

When I was looking for a front lip a few years ago, I rang Holden to see what they had. There was one.....in a Melbourne warehouse. They quoted $550. I told the guy I only wanted the lip, not the whole bar, bezels and all. He said yep $550.

I got one from a guy wrecking an SS. Luckily it was the same colour as mine. Just need a clean up and polish and it came up ok. Cost....$50.

You can get fibreglass copies for $150.....then you need to get it painted.

AlexVSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Holden VS Commodore S, 3.8 n/a
Just the lip. The front bar it self remains firmly in situ. Sorry for any confusion i caused.

Holden want $550 for a front lip? Tell them they're dreaming. Even $150 for a fiberglass reproduction seems a tad steep for a lip.

What I meant by asking about the Statesman was I have seen some Statos with a front lip that is superficially similar at least to the SS lip. If I am able to use a lip from a Stato that will help with finding parts if I do go the second hand route. I know the front bar itself is quite different to the SWB models.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Yeah. No way I was paying $550. $150 for fibreglass is a bit steep but when there are limited suppliers they can get away with it. You can get whole front bars in plastic for less than that.

Best bet will be 2nd hand. Unfortunately I don't know whether the Stato lip will work. When/if they come up for sale they seem to be far more expensive than the S/SS lip anyway.

Good luck with your search.

sk2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 'S' pack.
I have a fibreglass lower lip if you are interested. It was repaired and primed in a grey 2 pack. I've had it hanging in the garage. Had someone willing to pay $75 but you know what people can be like. I also have the fog and bezels otherwise I was going to sell them all together as a SS upgrade. PM me if you're interested.