Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs has backfire and idle problems

Blackvs96

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 96
Had a look and the name of the gas brand is sprint gas, why you ask? Also went to the wreckers the other day and had a look at all the vs that is running on gas, the setup on my car is different to all of them.

mudfish

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclaim
From memory sprintgas is very similar to Impco. (Sprintgas is Australian and Impco is American) Have a look on the mixer (this will be in the inlet tract and will have a thick rubber pipe joined to it) On the mixer there should be an adjustment knob, usually a circle with 2 flats machined in it for a spanner to suit (fom memory it's a 9/16). Look very closely at this adjuster and you should see the letters L and R with a number of graduations in between.

This is the gas mixture adjuster. The letters are for Lean and Rich. Check where the pointer is on yours and try going one notch richer. Only move one notch at a time and give it a few days between adjustments. This is to allow for cold starts, hot starts, and all types of driving. The backfiring through the airbox and other problems you mention can be caused by an overly lean mixture.

As others have rightly said, your entire ignition system needs to be spot on. Gas is harder to ignite than petrol and puts a lot more load on the ignition.

Ron41

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commadore V6
I was having the same problem, ran fine on petrol but not lpg, plugs, leads, coils were all good..... mine turned out to be a crack in the plastic intake that goes to the throttle body, on acceleration it was letting to much air in making the mixture far to lean causing it to backfire, another cause can be were the same intake pipe attaches to the mixer, if its loose there it can also let to much air come in with the same result...BANG, frightens the **** out of you when not expecting it.

good luck with it anyway.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
...BANG, frightens the **** out of you when not expecting it.

also quite expensive when it blows the guts out of the AFM.

Blackvs96

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 96
I've went out and had a look at the mixer and i noticed to the left right next to the mixer there's this black fuse looking thing on top of it has a small looking air hose coming out of it,

Following that hose it goes to the back of the motor to the top inlet manifold but some reason its been cut half way and clamped shut on both ends, don't understand why because it looks like its been deliberately cut and clamped.

So its really confused me cos i follow where the wire goes it goes to the coil pack, from that same black fuse thing it has a little T piece connection that other hose follows down the side of the guard and followed it till the end and it went behind the guard.
The other hose i followed it and it goes behind the fire wall.

So I'm thinking could this cut hose that connects behind the top intake manifold could be the reason, but don't want to reconnect it because the Hose is long enough to remove the piece from the black fuse and just re connect if you know what I mean.

But cos i know nothing bout the gas system and cos it was deliberately cut and clamped shut on both ends makes me not sure why someone would do that, there's gotta be a reason to do that.

So before i decide to re connect it hoping the description i made, made any sense to anyone because i Really tried the best i could to describe, I took pics on my i phone but don't know how to post it on here.

So question is should i just take the gamble and connect it back and hope to god when i start the car i don't blow up?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
post thossse pictures mate. If you go into your profile then click the pictures icon on bottom left you can upload photos from your computer.
You can upload from your phone to computer right ?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
what you are describing for the hose sounds more like the vac supply for the heater controls (and res behind the bumper)......
really don't see why this would be connected to the lpg system.......

Blackvs96

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 96
YH i thought it would cos it had 2 big hoses conected to it from the mixer and to the throttle body, anyways decided to gamble n connected the hose and now it doesn't shake or idle **** since i connected it, idles so smooth at d lights.
But still back fires and its got error code 35.

Blackvs96

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 96
YH i thought it would cos it had 2 big hoses conected to it from the mixer and to the throttle body, anyways decided to gamble n connected the hose and now it doesn't shake or idle **** since i connected it, idles so smooth at d lights.
But still back fires and its got error code 35.