Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs hsv enhanced air intake

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
You're wrong. Air moves so fast past a hot object it's not an issue. If you're pulling air in from a hot compartment different storey.

In your theroy an OTR would not work.

@immortality has done some testing comparing air temps between HSV OTR & Mace air box.

Mace had cooler temps.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
@immortality has done some testing comparing air temps between HSV OTR & Mace air box.

Mace had cooler temps.
I have Mace on my V6 and it made a huge improvement. I don't know if I had the before and after figures. What I did track down was my results from having the V6 intake pipe wrapped in runner tape as apposed to no wrapping and the drop in temp with wrap was around 6-7 deg lower. Keep in mind that the manifold temp at on a warmish Tassie 15deg day only reached 41deg, without wrapping. I don't know a lot about the way heat soaks affect MAT's but this sort of, in a way challenges Shane's theory, unless of course the length of the intake is enough on a V6 to really affect the MAT compared to a V8 wide mouth, which is much shorter.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Can you buy an aftermarket equivalent?
I would like one for my VS.
Yes ss inductions.
Also maybe still available VS iii Holden cai = is actually probably better than HSV equivalent .

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
or v6 supercharged setup that's just like v8 s3 setup where you cut airbox to fit snorkel pipe then screw in top piece into radiator.

Tbh they look better over stock airbox.Performance wise not that great deal of a difference when compared to doing 2 hole mod on 5.7 vt-z or even opening up the snout on vt 5.0.

On vp ute found lower half of airbox that had opening where factory snorkel enlarged to double it's size...worked well just didn't like engine bay heat ingested.

Yet to try mace setup..waiting on discount sale or maybe fab up something similar with more volume so it goes down chasis rail & wider to get air from gap near radiator.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
You're wrong. Air moves so fast past a hot object it's not an issue. If you're pulling air in from a hot compartment different storey.

In your theroy an OTR would not work.

...and yet I have posted conclusive proof that the early style OTR CAI does suffer from heat soak and then you still have the stock airbox to deal with too.

I ran the Holden Super6 and Mace CAI back to back, logged the intake temps and drove the same circuit, both stop/start traffic and a stint on the motorway. The VR/VS aren't set up well to suit an OTR setup. VN/VP arent so bad and VT onwards use very different Setups that have a better source of cold air, especially those that drop the filter down the front of the radiator.

Benvesen

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy 5.7 birlina
I know V8 is a different set up to early V6. But if the air passes through at such a rapid rate why would the air inside the plastic pipe heat up quite a bit on the early V6? Is it because of the distance it travels is so much further?
Thanks for your information