Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Not starting?

Bob129

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
ok, so it did it again today...i jiggled the gear selecter back and forth a bit and it started, so it could b the trans inhibitor....next time it does it im gonna have the key turned to started then jiggle the gear selector and see if it cranks, also gonna check the batterys CCA's. Cheers guys, will keep u posted.

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
If ya can get someone to help you start it in the morning, put a voltmeter over the terminals and check voltage first b4 starting, then when cranking.My bet is the battery is on its way out, the starter motor only does this same thing but in reverse, when it is hot not cold. I work on forklifts and from june till november I change at least three batteries a week!

Bob129

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
happened again! jiggled the auto, and it started. So it is obviously the Trans inhibitor switch. How much are these? What needs to be done to replace these? Thanks heaps for the help.
Cheers

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
According to the manual, "the inhibitor switch is not adjustable. Adjustment is automatic when the selector linkage adjustment is performed" So, to do a "selector linkage adjustment" you need to:
Raise the front of the car and place on stands, place the gear selector in the PARK position, loosen the trunnion lockbolt (on the drivers side of the trans), place the selector lever on the transmission in the rearmost position (park), tighten the lockbolt...then check that all gears are selected properly. If the inhibitor switch still doesnt work then the switch is either buggered or has come loose in its mount...but first try the selector adjustment.