Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs speedo and odometer not working

lalor

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
Hey Im new to this site and recently my 1996 vs ute speedo and odometer stop working at the same time. Is this a easy fix that I could do my self or should I take it to a expert to fix. Pls help me

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
If both speedo and ODO have stopped - I'd change the speed sensor or check the wires to it.

lalor

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
i recently changed this but it was one from the wreakers is there a way to check to see if the second hand one is working properly and the wires and the plug to it didnt look to good either is it possible to change the plug and cut the wires. the guys at the wreakers where saying that i needed me gears or something like that need to be done are pulling me chain?

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
The definitive way is to connect an oscilloscope across the speed sensor output/input, at various points in the wiring, drive the car and look at the wave form.

Assuming that you don't have one of those :))), a DMM with a frequency function can be used instead - ~$40 will get something suitable.

Auto. or manual?

If it's auto., that's an inductive pick up type so it's an AC voltage output - maybe ~1V - and both the frequency and voltage of the sensor output should change (increase) with road speed. Measure it across the two wires out of the sensor. It will probably be easiest to do that at the PCM. Backprobe - use dressmaker's pins carefully inserted in between the back of the wire terminals and plastic connector body to access the wires.

Rob's Creative Calibrations (search) should have the wiring diagrams. V6 VT and VS are virtually the same at the PCM if one or the other diagram isn't clear.

You can also check the resistance of the wire coil - I don't know what it should be but it shouldn't be open circuit and you can compare it to the old sensor.

The other component of the sensor is a toothed wheel (maybe that's the "gear"?) that rotates past the coil and magnet. You can inspect that visually with the sensor removed, looking for broken or bent teeth. Usually that's OK though.

The distance between the sensor magnet and the teeth is important so if there is something that is preventing the sensor from sitting properly that can affect it's operation.

You should also check that the wires between the sensor and PCM aren't broken - DMM on lowest "Ohms" setting. Yes, it's OK to swap/solder the wires if they do come up as broken.

purps75

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Exec S2
My speedo stopt workin in my ute,(sr2) and all i did was go to a reputable wreckerz, and bought a 2nd hand cluster(level2), I originally had a level1 cluster, and MADE SURE it was for a V6, and replaced the whole unit. BOOM it all workz a f^%$in treat. All up, if U kno what ur doin, bout 45- 60 mins......What I mean by level 1 cluster....speed temp fuel...level 2....speed....tacho...temp..fuel..

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Isn't this issue caused but a plastic cog that has deteriorated inside the cluster? Or was that only for od not working?

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
Isn't this issue caused but a plastic cog that has deteriorated inside the cluster? Or was that only for od not working?

Only the ODO is the problem when the cog is stuffed

lalor

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
thanks guys
i will try and tidy up my wires to the speed sensor on the weekend as they look oily this weekend. if this doesnt work i will try changing my cluster. I will let yous know how i go. Also who ever made this site for our commodores is a legend:beer chug:

JAAV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR wagon, 5 ltr ski boat, VS ute, VT calais.
speedo head

A common problem with the head is the plastic membrain/PCB get little cracks where the loom plugs into..
With a good soldering iorn you can repair it. On wat to find if this is a problem, while driving give the speedo head a firm wack and see if it tries to come to life..

lalor

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
When i was driving the car to work last night i gave the dash a decent whack and it sprang to life so correct me if im wrong but all i need to do is pull the dash apart and and the wires going to speedo i just reconnect with a soldering iorn. i recently read a post on here on how to pull the dash off to replace the cog for a broken odometer so i will just follow the step and resolder the wires. if im not right let me know. working on cars myself is new to me so i dont really want to try till i get all the info. Also thanks to every one u guys probally saved me alot of money in labour with your help by dodgy mechinics