Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] VS SS Commodore electrical issue

Julian1969

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Hi before I begin thanks in advance to anyone who responds with their opinion. Just for reference I have a 1996 VS SS series 2 Commodore.

I'll try keep this as simple as possible, I had my car regassed yesterday and when u press the AC button the compressor doesn't kick on.
The compressor itself works as the guy bypassed the switch by connecting the compressor to the battery.
After he did this there was a large spark and he had to disconnect it.

Once the regas was complete I put my car in reverse as its an auto, the ABS kicked in and started breaking for a few seconds then stopped.
Once I got home I checked all fuses, took the climate control out to see if something was unplugged to explain why the compressor wasn't working. Everything looked fine.

Then when I started the car again the abs light came on as did basically every other warning light lol and the car was revving on its own, the rev needle also went to 7k rmp even tho the car was probably only reving at 2k.

These strange occurrences seemed to stop when u disconnect the battery and reset the ECU,

Anyone who has ever experienced this or opinions on what could be the main issue would be appreciated.
I have an appointment with an Auto electrician in a few days but just wanting to get people's opinions,cheers

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Have you done the paperclip for fault codes exchange?

Is there any visible damage to any of the loom in the engine bay?
Especially around the fusebox/abs area

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
i think the ac guy has caused some serious problems
so is the car working ok now

Last edited:

Julian1969

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Have you done the paperclip for fault codes exchange?

Is there any visible damage to any of the loom in the engine bay?
Especially around the fusebox/abs area
Have never heard of the paper clip fault code exchange, I cant find or see any damage or cooked wires

Julian1969

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
i think the ac guy has caused some serious problems
so is the car workink ok now
The car starts and drives but even after u reset the ECU by removing the battery terminals it usually will start playing up again especially when u go from park to reverse.

So whats the worst case scenario here u recon, cooked ECU or could be worse?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
i would suspect a partially blown fusible link
the big fat fuses under bonnet
or damaged alternator

Julian1969

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
i would suspect a partially blown fusible link
the big fat fuses under bonnet
or damaged alternator
I didn't even think if the alternator it very well could be that, I'll find out Friday anyway, hopefully it's not too expensive to fix.

boombaby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT ii
Sorry for late reply.

I agree with lout.

Can't help on the "fuses" part.
On the Alternator, it could be damaged.
I also wonder about the battery/alternator.

(Unfortunately, for a quick "fix", I can't quite remember the routine so others might chip in.)
If you happen to have a multimeter (and some help) you can check the battery level as you start/crank it. Voltage across terminals should not drop below 10-ish volts.

Then the reading between battery -ve and alternator should not go high/excessive charge.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/testing-alterrntor-and-battery.94072/
see cheap6 at #4

However, in my cynical view, if that spark is the source of any damage then it could be more excessive that that due to the "electronics/computer" thing, but (for you) I hope not.

If you get this info in time, you could probably do a quick check before you drive out (today?)

Julian1969

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Wasn't the spark , I hooked up a new battery and all electrical problems disappeared lol.
However the battery light came on amd stayed on, so likely alternator has **** itself.
Also interesting the speedo stopped working after id repaired it not long ago using the alfoil Bridging technique I found out on this forum.
Aswell the temp gauge stopped, its currently at the auto electrician.
Will advise of the outcome when I get the bill lol.

Whats an alternator including part and labor these days? My guess is 500 at least.

Also to fix the AC im betting im gonna get reamed.
I brought this car cheap years ago but id never buy an older car again. To much headache

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
if the regulator fails it can go over voltage and the gauges act up