Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs starting issues

lockie.c90

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore
Hi all, first time posting... But I often use the forum for all sorts of tips and tricks. So thanks to everyone sharing their knowledge.
I've got a 97 VS 5ltr auto. Bit rough around the edges but I'm enjoying working on it all myself.

So the other day, I pulled up at my bosses place, parked loaded the car etc... Then when I went to leave it wouldn't start. Because the fuel was very very low and the drive way was on a **** angle I figured it wasn't sucking up any fuel, so I put 20L in and still nothing.. Turns over but won't start... Not even with a hit of start-ya-bastard.

So before it stopped for the last time, it would on occasion not start.. And twice it stalled, and wouldn't start for half an hour or so after.

Now this is a list of things I have check and/or replaced
-Checked fuel at filter, clean/blew out filter.
-Checked that the fuel is coming into the fuel rail and it is.. With a good amount of flow.
-Checked spark, replaced plugs and leads. -Cleaned and checked dizzy.
-Double, triple checked I had the leads going to the right spot...

So I'm under the impression (from what I've been told) that if I have spark that the ignition module is fine, as is the Hall effect sensor.

I've read and also been told that the computer might need resetting?
Haven't tired that yet, hoping to get some wisdom from everyone on here about that one..

So my question is... What else can I do/trouble shoot?
I'm a bit lost as to what to do next...

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
I would have guessed ign module (or hall effect sensor) but you say it has spark? Is it decent strong spark? Sometimes they will still get a sniff of a spark but not enough to run. Rarely could even be the coil, but not common.
Has it got injector pulse? with a dose of start ya bastard and no fire, I would suspect ign though.
Check fault codes too- that may lead you in the right direction.
annnd to make sure you haven't just flooded the hell out of it, hold foot to floor while cranking which will allow it to crank but not fire the injectors (clearflood mode).

lockie.c90

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore
I haven't tried the clearflood mode yet... As my battery was flat from the day before. I will check that this afternoon.
As for the spark... I haven't seen a good spark to reference against, so I'm unsure if it's a strong enough spark.. Is there anyway to check the volts of the spark?

Any tips on checking injector pulse and fault code??

Thanks for your input jeepyrocks

lockie.c90

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore
Injector pulse - check
No faults showing on the computer (thanks bottlefedvs)
I guess now I pull my injectors out and make sure they aren't blocked...

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
...... So before it stopped for the last time, it would on occasion not start.. And twice it stalled, and wouldn't start for half an hour or so after.............

Certainly sounds like a Hall Effect Sensor problem. Refer to the extract below from the Holden Service Manual re spark testing:

1. Remove the spark plug leads from 2 spark plugs.
2. Connect an ST 125 spark checker to each individually, and check for spark while cranking the engine.
3. Check both wires. A few sparks and then nothing is considered no spark.

NOTE: Use an ST 125 spark checker or equivalent. An ST 125 requires about 25,000 volts (25 kilovolts, or 25 kV) to "spark". Do not use a spark plug in open air earthed to the engine as an indication of sufficient "spark". Only a few kilovolts are required to jump the gap of a spark plug outside of the engine, and that would be an inadequate test of the ignition coil output ability.

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
Stick a spare spark plug in a one of the leads and sit it on something metal in the engine bay, then crank the engine and look for a nice sharp spark while cranking. If it just sparks once or twice then you have the old hall effect sensor issue.
Or you could do what I did and get a mate to hold said spark plug while cranking and see how high he jumps and how loud he screams. No don't do that.
It is funny though.