Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Statesman

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
My biggest down fall is the mileage, 289000K on it.

Mine had 268,000 on it when I bought it, that was 6 years ago, god knows how much is on it now, the cluster has been changed etc.

Quite literally the only original mechanical part on mine is the transmission (which is starting to show it's age) but every nut and bolt under the car has been replaced in the last 6 years so milage really is irrelevant.

But if that engine has been looked after 280k is nothing, they'll see 400,000 easily when properly maintained.

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
I have a mate with a V6 VZ Wagon, it has 383K and it is still on the original timing chain so anything is possible if looked after

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
So i need a bit more help here guys, the Power Steering Pump!
I found out there are 2 types, a Variatonic and Standard Pumps, how do i know which one i need?
I read some post that say if you put the wrong one on it can cause issues, also different part numbers.

Prices go from $158 up on eBay or Repco's start at $480

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
That's a weird one always thought major difference was just the rack & intermediate shaft tbh

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
There are two different pumps, one for standard steering and another for the speed sensitive Varitronic.

Fundamentally the pumps themselves are identical but the outlet that's screwed into the pump housing differs. So you can tun each pump into the other by changing the outlet assembly.

Anything Calais and above had Varitronic. So Statesman and Caprice are speed sensitive Varitronic units.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Pumps are physically the same. There's a valve in the rear of the non variatronic pump to regulate flow.

There's no valve in the variatronic pump as the solenoid in the rack controls the flow.

I purchased a $15 seal kit and rebuilt myself. If you're pretty good with following instructions and using basic hand tools you could do it yourself without any issue. Saves some good money too!

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Thanks guys, yeah a difference in price as to which one so i didn't want to start on the wrong foot by putting the wrong one in.

I thought about re-kitting with new seals but i just don't have the place to do anything which i live, bloody body corp units

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Refer to the attached. While the pumps are the same externally, they are not the same internally. Note the different part number for the V8.

Attachments

• VR-VS Power Steering Pumps.jpg
    VR-VS Power Steering Pumps.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 170

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
I put the power steering pump in the other day, turned the wheels slowly left and right over and over to get the air out. Most of the squealing is gone just on full lock i still have the squealing. I let it sit for a few days to see if it could naturally disperse it but still the same.
So my question is, is there a bleeder valve somewhere that i missed or cant seem to see?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
No bleeder that I know of. Normally a few turns each way and the air bleeds out. I have heard that from a full replacement it can take a few days to get the last of the air out. Did you replace the belt? Haven't heard a pump squeal before but plenty of groaning.