Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs ute just stopped?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The problem could also be the thick wire which connects to the rear of the alternator - this has been known to overheat (it carries a heavy load) and then the copper becomes brittle and crystalizes which results in either a complete or partial break in the wire.
The result can be anything from no charge from the alternator to an absolute dead short if the wire snaps off.
To check, remove the plastic engine cover and locate the wire at the back of the alternator. Wiggle it about....it should be firm yet flexible....look at the insulation to see if it looks burnt....the nut that clamps the connection should also be tight.
If any of these do not pass muster then replace or whatever.

braundog

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Holden ute
hay mate my ute 5ltr did this the other day just shut off completely on the hyway, got error code checkt said it was the ignition module,got it replaced and still didnt start.. it ended up being the coil. replaced that and back to normal now. hope it helps

crabby

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs series 3
hey guys
i did the paper clip idea and i didnt even get the check engine light to come on , the owner before me has done so many dodgey stuff to this car i wouldnt be suprised if that plug wasnt even wired in properly. who ever he got to put the v8 in (from statesman) did just enough to get it running.nearly ready to sell it and try to get my money back and try again...might be time for a machanic to take a look.....took it around the block this morning and 3/4 of the way around it started playing up again from a cold start.
crabby

Dannal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive
How much fuel was in the car? Since having someone replace my fuel pump, the car will occasionally stop running (no spluttering) and won't start if it has less than 1/4 of a tank. Being on a lean or going around a corner can make it happen too.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
hey guys
i did the paper clip idea and i didnt even get the check engine light to come on , the owner before me has done so many dodgey stuff to this car i wouldnt be suprised if that plug wasnt even wired in properly. who ever he got to put the v8 in (from statesman) did just enough to get it running.nearly ready to sell it and try to get my money back and try again...might be time for a machanic to take a look.....took it around the block this morning and 3/4 of the way around it started playing up again from a cold start.
crabby

When you are looking for help you should at least provide information that is relevant to the answers you are trying to get !!! V6s have different symptoms to V8s and it's not until this post that you have actually identified that your car is a V8. Most people on this forum actually have v6s engines (poor fools). In my experience, the ignition trigger module (V8) when its failing sometimes gives the symptoms you describe. Coils have been either working or failed completely, no half-way. Make sure all your electrical connections are tight (battery, earth etc.). It also doesn't hurt to re-seat all your fuses and relays.

crabby

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs series 3
sorry all for the confusion i should of stated that in the begining , lesson learnt
will go through the engine bay and make sure everything is tight:D

crabby

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs series 3
quick update
problem turned out to be with the dizzy.the little box sticking out of it that has the right angle plug(3 wires) had fallen out of the dizzy case and when moved in a certain way would cut the ignition. got it going with some 5 min epoxy and a cable tie and running no problems at all , new dizzy on the way but at least i can take it to work now:beer chug: