Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Ute Tranny - can you help a damsel in destress!!!

Taries

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
We've chucked the 4hdd into it and yes we are having a few issues atm, the senor switch is a different connection however when me mate gets back from over east were going to rewire the switch wiring to fit the 4hdd, and the threading on the gear selector for the tranny was different we've pulled that out and going to put that in next weekend and hope for the best... oh and theres no thread for the safety neutral switch on the tranny that what else was different, anyhows it started however it did go in to limp mode but we also think its got somethink to do with the safety netural switch as it was playing up prior to the tranny going... Oh and I only escaped death twice, once with a socket end coming off the air gun, with that pain in the butt bolt about 10ft deep up into the motor, and then almost losing the tranny trying to get her up to lineup of the trolley jack! All in all semi productive weekend, paid me mate like 400 to help put it all back to together, freaking hope it starts working smoothly soon...

OMG and you wouldn't read about it but the tranny oulet pipe and connector which I got from a wreck I lost it!! oh yer NO where to b FOUND, tool box search 10x, another so so luckily the guy had another spare... just another hurdle... in the race the repair the beast. Pics below...

Last edited:

Taries

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
1390628_10151728083778041_1217505798_n.jpg

Outlet Pipe Buggered

1238319_10151728084483041_2137078705_n.jpg

The difference on the 6hcd compared to the 4hdd is this threaded arm rod for the selector.

Taries

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
545921_10151714232778041_270831767_n.jpg

Note one the 6hcd has the sensor on the right side

Taries

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
1381496_10151728183018041_1984179621_n.jpg

And that's the rod which is different...

Matty b vn commo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs executive.
Wow I just had the same problem with my vs sedan. The seal in the converter was buggered. I found a cheap but good 2nd hand trans on gumtree for 175. Was more but I talked him down. And for about 400 you could of got a mechanic to do it. Less stress. The internet/google/eBay/gumtree are your best friends when it comes to fixing your car and on the cheaper side of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Taries

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Wells I just went and pick up a tranny, the guy said it was a 6hcd and on arrival its a freaking 8hfd!!!! HE SWORE black and blue itll fit... I think I just got screwed!!

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
<insert profanities here> vt box although internally the same is a different breed outside (general rule of thumb... if it looks different then without the right fabrication aids it just won't fit)

in your above pics i see you have access to a workshop, with how far you stripped the other trans.... why not just change the wiring looms and leave the tcc pwm solenoid plugged in and zip tied/duct taped/hanging in the pan to avoid pcm errors? if it knew it was there and "thought" it was controlling it then all is well (google 4l60e tcc pwm stake) even the yanks where this box was born ran into issues and crimped the valve body to keep it open and avoid the "slow/comfortable" engagement of the solenoid, from experience it's barely noticeable when done.

although you ripped it down that far with the right equipment and pulled the pump housing out so you had some idea, why not grab the other couple of gaskets and change the valve body, wiring harness and a couple of solenoids along with it? the outer housing & internals are the same.

In the other pic showing the different sensor location in the extension housing..... why not just swap the extension housing?

Taries

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
they reckon you have to remove the starter motor to put the 8hfd in and then you have an issue with the bell housing unit. Seriously being a woman SUCKS when it comes to automotive and males... treat you like your freaking stupid... and just see $$$ and little gold bags of greenies!! So wanna do a hissy fit right now!!! lol no but seriously!!

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I really didnt think there would be any internal differences between column shift and floor shift transmissons, I though the external linkages would just be a slightly different setup for the column shift, most other cars Ive worked on are set up so you just have to swap over the external linkages..

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
From what I understand the later VT style full bell housing transmission will fit, you just need to change over a few extra things. For starters the coolant lines are bigger on the later boxes and they also come out at a different angle.

You also need the engine to transmission brace to suit. As far as I can physically see the boxes are very similar in sized physically.

As mentioned, the column shift linkage is a bit different but it should be able to be adapted.