Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs v6 constant high idle issue

rossdogg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1 95
i have a vs calais v6 that was converted to t5 manual, its always revved high on start up but dies down to normal idle, now i hadnt drove it for like a week and now it rev's up to 2000 rpm and just wants to get higher, even after driving to work, any ideas?

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Give the IAC valve a clean and report back. It's on your TB.

While it's idling, spray some carby cleaner around all the joints/flanges after your tb. If it picks up RPM when sprayed you have a vac leak.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Did you change the ECU to a manual? Or have you had it tuned for a manual?

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Re set tps, then reset ecu

rossdogg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1 95
i got a 69mm throttle body, brand new tps and iac about 10000k's ago but ill give it a try what would be best to use when cleaning the iac?
Give the IAC valve a clean and report back. It's on your TB.

While it's idling, spray some carby cleaner around all the joints/flanges after your tb. If it picks up RPM when sprayed you have a vac leak.

changed the ecu
Did you change the ECU to a manual? Or have you had it tuned for a manual?

how do you reset the tps?
Re set tps, then reset ecu

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hi
Check the throttle cables have some slack in them and it isnt binding somewhere....then disconnect the neg battery terminal for a min or 2. Reconnect and start the car if the idle settles after a while and is back to normal
start looking for a bad earth somewhere..this happened to the neighbours car and we are pretty sure it was a bad earth(which we found) that cause the PCM to glitch on start up

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
To reset the TPS, disconnect the battery for ten seconds, reconnect and start the car and rev to 2000rpm for ten seconds.

rossdogg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1 95
ive just bought a new acc cable as my one sticks some times and ive disconnected the battery terminals and it done nothing, i may try finding a bad earth tho
Hi
Check the throttle cables have some slack in them and it isnt binding somewhere....then disconnect the neg battery terminal for a min or 2. Reconnect and start the car if the idle settles after a while and is back to normal
start looking for a bad earth somewhere..this happened to the neighbours car and we are pretty sure it was a bad earth(which we found) that cause the PCM to glitch on start up

and ive tried that and the ecu reset no good
To reset the TPS, disconnect the battery for ten seconds, reconnect and start the car and rev to 2000rpm for ten seconds.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Bummer a reset should settle everything for a while anyways...Your prob looking for extra air getting into the induction system, make sure the butterfly is fully closed with a little slack in the cable...there is a grub screw on a plate on the VS (passenger side looking towards TB) check that hasn't screwed itself in shouldnt happen but worth a check....check all hoses ect on the motor side of the the TB butterfly for possible air leaks and check the IAC is at least working

rossdogg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais S1 95
yeah there is next to no slack in the cable, and i fully screwed out the idle screw, and ill check the hoses etc after ive cleaned the TB, how would i check the IAC is working?
Bummer a reset should settle everything for a while anyways...Your prob looking for extra air getting into the induction system, make sure the butterfly is fully closed with a little slack in the cable...there is a grub screw on a plate on the VS (passenger side looking towards TB) check that hasn't screwed itself in shouldnt happen but worth a check....check all hoses ect on the motor side of the the TB butterfly for possible air leaks and check the IAC is at least working