Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 Cranking but having difficulty kicking over

Nathaniel_P

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Commodore S
Hey guys, my vs s pack is having a bit of trouble kicking over, I'm not sure if it's the weather or what, but it's only really started over the last 2 days, she cranks with no problem, but the cranking time before she kicks over has gradually increased (it started pretty much instantly, but now takes around 5 seconds) I'm new to cars and maintaining my own, so if anyone with a bit of experience could give us a hand with some answers and actions to trouble shoot the problem, that would be pretty neat :)

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
Sounds like a faulty Fuel Pressure Regulator. It's located on the end of the fuel rail.
It's easy to replace and will be available from any Auto Parts Store

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Sounds like a faulty Fuel Pressure Regulator. It's located on the end of the fuel rail.
It's easy to replace and will be available from any Auto Parts Store

Take off the vacuum hose for the fpr and smell the regulator if it smells of petrol it's cactus signifying a broken diaphragm withing the mechanism

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
I would probably be starting with a intake manifold / plenum / iac / tb / tps clean, check spark plugs, check readings of O2 sensors to see if they're in spec, and possibly reconditioning the injectors you can do all this for under $50 if your clever ;) obviously if anything needs replacing it would be more than $50 but u get it ;)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Watch the exhaust as the engine starts, look for black smoke. If you get a cloud of black smoke, then it could be the fuel pressure regulator leaking fuel into the engine, making it hard to start..

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
I would probably be starting with a intake manifold / plenum / iac / tb / tps clean, check spark plugs, check readings of O2 sensors to see if they're in spec, and possibly reconditioning the injectors you can do all this for under $50 if your clever ;) obviously if anything needs replacing it would be more than $50 but u get it ;)

Just wanted to know how you would recondition your injectors especially under $50?

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Just wanted to know how you would recondition your injectors especially under $50?

thats exactly what i was about to ask :)

a new bit fat earth cable from battery to engine will help start up too (well it did mine)

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
thats exactly what i was about to ask :)

a new bit fat earth cable from battery to engine will help start up too (well it did mine)

You can buy new filter baskets, pintle caps, and o rings for under $25, sure they're not flow tested or anything but makes a huge difference!