Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 to LS conversion

Jesse Robinson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS LS1 Burnout Car
Hey everyone

Currently in the process of building a LS1 VS burnout car, what will I need to do the conversion? And don't say just buy a V8 because I'd rather build not buy

Cheers

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
Im in a similar spot at the moment.
LS into VS. maybe, hopefully.. just send it?

Spun a big end bearing in the ecotec and would like to move up in the world while keeping the VS chassis.
It would be great to hear from someone who's been through this.

I suppose I'll throw a couple questions in:
• VS accelerator pedal needs a fly by wire sensor yeah? Can you adapt something off a VX or something?
• How much fuel pump is needed to run a stock LS1? 260lph? Could I just swap the V6 pump out of the existing fuel tank for a gm oem 5litre pump like out of a 96 SS VS? Even use the 5.0 fuel filter? Use existing fuel lines?
• Some LS1 engines use a return fuel setup? Some use a returnless? I'm assuming this will have bearing on my previous question.
• Has anyone got an auto shifter setup in an LS1 VS? What's the config parts wise? I say this because the autos are cheaper and more available. Depends of which auto? 4 speed means I can use my existing 4 speed shifter? With mods? Otherwise Im adapting the shifter out of what ever car the LS and gbox came out of?
• What's the go with the LS ECU and loom, it can be trimmed back to just run the engine with a reprogram yeah? Does that handle the gearbox too?
• If I have to send the LS ECU that came with the engine away to get programmed? Should I get anything else done to it while it's away?
• Is there an adapter or something to get the stock speedo, water temp and RPM gauge working?
• It's a BCM that does the security thing with the ignition / key yeah? I don't have enough knowledge here to know the right questions to ask...
• Before the engine goes in, is there anything major I should do to it while it's out? Consideting it's essentially in unknown condition from the wreckers.
• Do an oil and water pump just cause? Sounds like OP and I are looking at high RPM use so oil optimisation tips welcome!?
• Why do LS conversion kits come with starter motors? Can I not use the one attached to the engine it came with from the wreckers or out of a complete donor car?

As much as there is a lot of info out there it seems mostly generic. 90% of the vids and posts could be somerised as "there's a lot of 'stuff' to consider", "it can very expensive and difficult" and "use google".
Kinda feel stuck when my google results tell me to use google......

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
Im in a similar spot at the moment.
LS into VS. maybe, hopefully.. just send it?

Spun a big end bearing in the ecotec and would like to move up in the world while keeping the VS chassis.
It would be great to hear from someone who's been through this.

I suppose I'll throw a couple questions in:
• VS accelerator pedal needs a fly by wire sensor yeah? Can you adapt something off a VX or something?
• How much fuel pump is needed to run a stock LS1? 260lph? Could I just swap the V6 pump out of the existing fuel tank for a gm oem 5litre pump like out of a 96 SS VS? Even use the 5.0 fuel filter? Use existing fuel lines?
• Some LS1 engines use a return fuel setup? Some use a returnless? I'm assuming this will have bearing on my previous question.
• Has anyone got an auto shifter setup in an LS1 VS? What's the config parts wise? I say this because the autos are cheaper and more available. Depends of which auto? 4 speed means I can use my existing 4 speed shifter? With mods? Otherwise Im adapting the shifter out of what ever car the LS and gbox came out of?
• What's the go with the LS ECU and loom, it can be trimmed back to just run the engine with a reprogram yeah? Does that handle the gearbox too?
• If I have to send the LS ECU that came with the engine away to get programmed? Should I get anything else done to it while it's away?
• Is there an adapter or something to get the stock speedo, water temp and RPM gauge working?
• It's a BCM that does the security thing with the ignition / key yeah? I don't have enough knowledge here to know the right questions to ask...
• Before the engine goes in, is there anything major I should do to it while it's out? Consideting it's essentially in unknown condition from the wreckers.
• Do an oil and water pump just cause? Sounds like OP and I are looking at high RPM use so oil optimisation tips welcome!?
• Why do LS conversion kits come with starter motors? Can I not use the one attached to the engine it came with from the wreckers or out of a complete donor car?

As much as there is a lot of info out there it seems mostly generic. 90% of the vids and posts could be somerised as "there's a lot of 'stuff' to consider", "it can very expensive and difficult" and "use google".
Kinda feel stuck when my google results tell me to use google......
you can check out this forum where a lot members have done or are doing ls engine swaps https://www.commodoresplus.com.au/?post_type=forum