Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs v8 mace memcal vs hsv tune and knock sensor

vamplestat

calais93
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS caprice
Well the title says it all, i am curious what would be the be the better choice, both setups are around the same price.
The HSV tune and sensor offer a boost from 165kw to 185kw, where the mace tune offers between 8-12kw with around 2% more on 98 RON fuel.
So the question is, what would be the better option?

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
Dont buy the 185kw knock sensor and tune of ebay , its not a real product . Its just a fake v6 memcal modded into a v8 one still running a v6 tune .

Ether go with a MACE tune or one from The1 or Delcowizzard on here .

vamplestat

calais93
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS caprice
i suspected the remapped tunes weren't all that crash hot. i was more referring to an original HSV chip with the knock sensor board.
i did have a mace tune in my vp calais v6 and it was great, just looking to compare the 2 as now iam running a v8 caprice.

MACE

Reaction score
i suspected the remapped tunes weren't all that crash hot. i was more referring to an original HSV chip with the knock sensor board.
i did have a mace tune in my vp calais v6 and it was great, just looking to compare the 2 as now iam running a v8 caprice.
If you can get a genuine V8 memcal with knock board and knock sensor and loom for that price then it certainly enticing. Running a knock sensor would be certainly advantageous

In saying this though, if your mechanically conscious as to how your car runs and get a hold of a responsibly re-calibrated memcal, you should be able to get away without running a knock sensor as many have done and continue to do

hope this helps

Cheers,
Steve

Trayner

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
If you can get a genuine V8 memcal with knock board and knock sensor and loom for that price then it certainly enticing. Running a knock sensor would be certainly advantageous

In saying this though, if your mechanically conscious as to how your car runs and get a hold of a responsibly re-calibrated memcal, you should be able to get away without running a knock sensor as many have done and continue to do

hope this helps

Cheers,
Steve

Thats what i did , bought a so called genuine knock sensor and memcal with one off ebay for $245.00 of a seller dont wnat to mention his name "cough.. cough ..blackstar ..cough " and was an a complete knock off even thou selling for the real deal

in the end got a memcal of The1 and im running his tune which is the 185kw tune with the knock sensor deactivated and he boosted the tune up some more so around 190kw + or so

vamplestat

calais93
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS caprice
how aggressive is the fuel and spark map to make 190kw thou? Iam looking at getting that nice boot in power that a real 185kw chip can offer but as well better fuel usage if thats possible with the hsv based tune. i know mace tunes are good for both lol. so did you just send the chip you got off ebay to The1 and he remapped it to work without the knock sensor and a somewhat different fuel and spark map? and you mean blackstar7000. iam watching one of his listings lol
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/121066629706?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Trayner

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
how aggressive is the fuel and spark map to make 190kw thou? Iam looking at getting that nice boot in power that a real 185kw chip can offer but as well better fuel usage if thats possible with the hsv based tune. i know mace tunes are good for both lol. so did you just send the chip you got off ebay to The1 and he remapped it to work without the knock sensor and a somewhat different fuel and spark map? and you mean blackstar7000. iam watching one of his listings lol
eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

yup thats the one i bought , nothing but a v6 memcal with a fake knock off , knock board installed , the knock sensor and cable are real but the memcal is not .
also when i bought the chip off him , i sent it back to him around 2 times to fix, as each time it put my transmission into limp mode and brang up **** loads of error codes.
then i found of the1 that it was a fake chip not worth anything

vamplestat

calais93
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS caprice
well iam on contact with The1 now, so lets see what he can rig up for me and at what price lol.
cheers for the warning and heads up about this dodgy seller claiming its the real deal when its not.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Get a green foam tune. Will be better then both other options.

vamplestat

calais93
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS caprice
greenfoam is a hard man to get a hold of these days and isn't really doing many tunes anymore. i was in contact with him early last year but have not heard much since when i was looking for a tune for my old vp calais.