Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs V8 not starting

Jarrid

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs SS Commodore 95
Hey all posted a week or so ago and now my problem has escalated, over the last two weeks I've had an issue where the car would sometimes start no problem then other times just turn over. Now it wont start at all no codes, I have pulled the covers off and airbox as ill do a bit of service over the next month plus the clutch needs replacing (which brand clutch is good to go with for a cruiser that is treated well, smoother is better for me?) ill replace filters,spark plugs the rest of the hoses leads what else should be done? does this sound like the immobilizer prohibiting the motor?

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
My VQ did a similar thing ages ago. Would just crank and crank for no reason at all it would seem. Usually after it had been running or it was a hot day. Replaced the temp sender for the ECU and fixed it.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
From your description, it sounds like the ignition module has failed. Other possibilities are coil, Hall Effect Sensor (in distibutor), or fuel pump.

VTL67Calais

Vtl67 calais
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT L67 Calais blue
Have you given the sensors a spray, maybe the computer cant get a fuel air mixture because the sensors aren't picking up anything, the crc and sensor spray is just mineral alchol and you can put it in a spray bottle and spray it on the sensors soaking the dirt oil pollen crud etc. hope this helps

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Does it eventually go or does it just crank and crank?

Jarrid

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs SS Commodore 95
So its weird because one day it would start first time then the next nothing but now its just stuck cranking and cranking. ill wait till this weekend to try all the possibility's, I have a rebuilt 5lt in the shed so I can swap the coil and ignition module.
bloody hard to find time now there is a little one in the house and Im picking my new daily up.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
When the coil died on my 5L it did it slowly. Gradually got slower to start until it would just stop while driving. Then it would just crank for ages and slowly chug to life.

Will probably be coil, ignition module or the hall sensor in the dizzy.

When you bridge out the pins on the diagnostic plug does it flash any codes at you?

BottleFedVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0L & 80 Series Landcruiser
Actually on my wife's VR sII 1995 V8 5Lt Calais, a few years back we had an issue with the immobiliser failing in the BCM
and not allowing the pcm to throw a code.
The car was cranking but nothing else. occasionally it would start but if it decided to quit it would not start again.
This was off the road for a couple of months I kept getting from the auto elecy and the mechanics that had come around saying "it's not the hall effect trigger,
they never go it's gotta be the ignition module".
I changed out the BCM and low and behold the PCM threw a code 46 no reference signal while cranking.
I replaced my hall effect sensor in the dizzy and it started first go and didn't miss a beat.
In the couple of months off the road I replaced - ignition leads, Coil, Dizzy cap, Ignition module (twice), engine coolant temperature sensor and Throttle position sensor.
in the end it came down to something the Mechanics and electricians said doesn't happen.
persevere and you will get it eventually.
If you want to eliminate the BCM from the equasion try going to the wreckers and get a BCM of the same level and a key fob to match.
If you buy a new one they are expensive and you need to get a key fob coded to match the bcm and it may not be your problem.

I hope that helps somewhat!

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
HES doesn't fail.....lol. I have two fail in the 17 yrs I've had mine.

Those blokes need to go back to class.