Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS wagon - fuel pump fuse blows when turn key

Old Colts in Oz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Hi guys,

Can't get the VS going. I've unplugged the wiring at the tank to hopefully isolate the pump being the issue but still no go - as soon as I turn the key, the 15amp Fuel pump blows and then the interior light, and central locking doesn't work. With that the car won't start. I've used up about 5 fuses trying to suss it tonight so I can get to work in the morning. Any ideas? I'm thinking it's not the pump as I unplugged it so maybe something else that runs off the same fuse? Did a forum search but couldn't find the answer :(

moff_man

operation HQ under way.
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR II berlina wagon v6, 72 HQ ute 253
that fuse also runs the bcm, you might have a rubed through wire

Old Colts in Oz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Thanks mate. What's a BCM?

Bit more info, removed the ruel pump relay - all ok and the fuse doesn't blow. Put the relay back in - fuse blows. Starts very badly with just gas feeding the lines but I guess if I can get it running I may be able to get to work/take it somewhere. If there is a problem with the LPG though I reckon I'm stuffed without the the petrol relay as I won't have petrol as a backup. Any ideas?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Check the oil pressure switch - it shorts internally and will blow the FP fuse - it forms part of that circuit. Good Luck.

Old Colts in Oz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Last edited:

Old Colts in Oz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
Update on the situation. I couldn't find th issue so took the car to the Auto Electricians and they couldn't get the fuse to blow. With that in mind they couldn't find anything wrong. All good that the car is fixed but not so good that I don't what the problem was or whether it will do it again! Bypassing both the oil switch and petrol pump didn't seem to make any difference when I was looking at it myself - the fuse blew with both disconnected.

mike49

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR, VX, VN Commodore's
old VL i had kept blowing the fuel pump fuse when key was turned...ended up being a stuffed oxygen sensor.. disconnected that, started fine..

Old Colts in Oz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
That's interesting! Occasionally I get an engine warning light while driving on gas and when I checked the codes it said something about the oxygen sensor. When it happens these days ( happened driving to work today ) I flick it over to petrol and the light goes off straight away. I then switch it back to LPG and it's fine. I wonder if the oxygen sensor is intermittently playing up.....

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
There are 2 sensors 1 on each side.
Could be how old are they?
I put new ones in at about 170000k.
I`m think they need to be changed at about 80000k.

Old Colts in Oz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
At a guess I'd say very old! The car has done 250,000km. What sort of money am I looking at for the sensors and is it an easy DIY job? Might change them if they aren't too expensive and see what happens... :)