Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS wanting to stall from drive to reverse

silvr6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6
Hey, got a small little problem with my VS when i go from reverse to drive it sometimes shutters or chugs as if its about to stall, revs drop real low then they pick up and goes no worries, occasionally get it when car is stopped at traffic lights and try to accelerate it chugs for a quick second and takes of no issues

Also experience abit to much fuel usage not sure if it could be related, any ideas on why its using abit too much fuel (just over 300km per tank?)

Cars a VS series 1 ecotec, 190,000kms auto

Ive been told by a few ppl its O2 sensor.. then another person believes if it was it would run either lean or rich and not run fine.. also is air intake temp sensor a possible cause?

danny1987

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore sedan
i had the same problem with the stalling except mine did stal only when it was hot i found the base idle was out a bit after time the screw wears out and need to be adjusted the fuel prob i got that 2 but dont know what it is either

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Might be worth cleaning the Idle Control device with some carby or throttle body cleaner, as well as resetting the actual length of the plunger, from memory its meant to be 28mm.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Take the easy route first - add a tin of Nulon injector cleaner (or similar brand) next time you fill up. If you've never added an injector cleaner it may pay to do it twice. The other way to clean your injectors is to use the premium fuel for a couple of tankfulls. At your mileage your IAC should be OK. How old are your sparkplugs? - if they haven't been changed for 50,000km or so they may be playing up.

Sgt Santa Cruz

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Statesman
I Need Help Too!

My s1 VR is doing that too. i was wondering if u have to earth out a terminal to adjust the base idle???? also i was wondering if anyone could help me on huge issue i just cant sort out!
My VR is lucky to be getting max of 200km to a tank of fuel. now ive checked the plugs and leads and replaced them, also replaced fuel filter and ive flushed the injectors properly (not the petrol additive i ran it on two cans of pyroil injector flush) and i have ran the car on BP ultimate for a month but still every week costs me 110 bux to run it. the timing chain does rattle alot but doubt thats any reason for this can anyone help? is there a computer issue or software i can use to diagnose this? oh and also a couple of days ago i was cruising on 100 for about 45mins or so and the engine light did come on so i pulled over and checked over all the sensors i possibly could. i let the car cool down and wen i started it again it went out. if that helps
Regards
Mark

silvr6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6
yeah running some injector cleaner in it now, do occasionally put premium in.. spark plugs and an oil change are on the cards.. ive only had the car 3 months so unsure of state of these things

how do i go about resetting the plunger length, will have a look tomorrow is it pretty straight forward? will give it a clean

Also base idle.. where is this located? on/near throttle body.. still learning where things are and what all the sensors do

stockvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec,honda civic,mazda626
Hey, got a small little problem with my VS when i go from reverse to drive it sometimes shutters or chugs as if its about to stall, revs drop real low then they pick up and goes no worries, occasionally get it when car is stopped at traffic lights and try to accelerate it chugs for a quick second and takes of no issues

Also experience abit to much fuel usage not sure if it could be related, any ideas on why its using abit too much fuel (just over 300km per tank?)

Cars a VS series 1 ecotec, 190,000kms auto

Ive been told by a few ppl its O2 sensor.. then another person believes if it was it would run either lean or rich and not run fine.. also is air intake temp sensor a possible cause?

it could be a number of things IAC valve,TPS it could even be that your power steering pump is on its way out

silvr6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6
sgt santa cruz you thread stealer start your own :)

check your fault codes it could possibly your o2 sensors.. but anyway onto my questions thread stealer :p

stockvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec,honda civic,mazda626
i had pretty much the same prob took the throttle body off gave it a clean and chucked in new sensors

silvr6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6
the power steering pump wouldnt explain fuel usage i doubt it.. will give it a double check, might have to grab a gregorys book to learn abit about all these sensors.. they are bloody everywhere