Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt 304 won’t crank

skippy73

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 5.0 ltr
Hey I have 98 vt 304 I had an issue a while ago where my car just cut out while driving.
Electrician couldn’t find anything , so we tried replacing the bcm. It started drove it for a couple of weeks an back to the same problem again. So battery fully charged. It’s a new key , it unlocks an locks the doors, red security light goes out on the dash. Turn it on to acc all the dash, radio, cig lighter lights come on. Turn it to start an NOTHING , I did notice the red security light lights up but very dull then goes out again. headlights an dash lights don’t dim but radio an cig lighter go out. I can start it straight from the startermotor.
Any ideas please????

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Wiggle the starter motor wiring back and forth to see if it is dodgy starter wiring. These are old and severely heat damaged.
Next up check for spark. If there is no spark it could be the ign module. It could be the Hall effect sensor in the distributor.

skippy73

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 5.0 ltr
Deuce I can only start the motor when I Hotwire straight to the startermotor, other there is nothing there???

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
.....Next up check for spark. If there is no spark it could be the ign module. It could be the Hall effect sensor in the distributor.

Spark issues won't stop a motor from cranking (but will stop it from starting). Could be fuses or relays.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If you lock/unlock security light is out but hotwire the starter & it starts that way means you have to trace issue from ignition switch-relay & fuses-starter loom plug & wiring to solenoid with test light untill you find where issue is.

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
I second that. If you can start it from the starter then your fuel air spark is fine. have you tried starting it by bridging the starter relay slot?

skippy73

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 5.0 ltr
yes it starts if i bridge the starter really. I was thinking of just buying a kqs-q6c pushbutton start kit,

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
try getting in the car and then lock it with the remote so that the security light is flashing.

Then turn the key to position 2 and see if the light is off. If the light is on then Its key and slip ring related. was the new key done with a tech2 or a mister-minute job?

Mookie01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore executive series 2
Hey I have 98 vt 304 I had an issue a while ago where my car just cut out while driving.
Electrician couldn’t find anything , so we tried replacing the bcm. It started drove it for a couple of weeks an back to the same problem again. So battery fully charged. It’s a new key , it unlocks an locks the doors, red security light goes out on the dash. Turn it on to acc all the dash, radio, cig lighter lights come on. Turn it to start an NOTHING , I did notice the red security light lights up but very dull then goes out again. headlights an dash lights don’t dim but radio an cig lighter go out. I can start it straight from the startermotor.
Any ideas please????
I as a mobile mechanic came across this issue before , what you will find and don’t take it back to this so called Auto electrician he sounds like another moron in a workshop , okay here it is I came across a VS 304 5.0 litre V8 same happened to my customer , I looked at car got car going in about 10 minutes after car had sat for a year , it was the earth cable that goes to the battery they get corroded filled up with rust gunk and also where it bolts up to the body next to battery it gets corroded filled with RUST and crap clean all negative battery wires !!

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
I as a mobile mechanic came across this issue before , what you will find and don’t take it back to this so called Auto electrician he sounds like another moron in a workshop , okay here it is I came across a VS 304 5.0 litre V8 same happened to my customer , I looked at car got car going in about 10 minutes after car had sat for a year , it was the earth cable that goes to the battery they get corroded filled up with rust gunk and also where it bolts up to the body next to battery it gets corroded filled with RUST and crap clean all negative battery wires !!
so hows he able to start the car from the relay socket if theres no ground? this is a very, very poor attempt at diagnosis. You must work for RAC roadside.