Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT 5 Litre will not break traction

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Shhh, be quiet, you'l upset the V8 or else brigade

merlinnn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5L
Austone 235-45-17 Athena SP-7

The bloke I bought it off had just put them on before I picked it up. Its got kings lowered springs in it and a **** load of negative camber so its not as if the tyre has full contact when in a straight line.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
I have bled the system with the heater on full, waited for the thermostat to open up and let everything bubble up out of the radiator cap. Will give it another go and see what happens.

I don't want to break traction everywhere, but I guess in comparison to the VF I was a little shocked about a v8 that cannot break traction!
how do you bleed a 5lt have a 5lt never herd of bleeding the system I know you have to on a v6

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
You have a few things working against you here, no matter what.

-Only 179 Kw. If this is at the flywheel, there will be less at the wheels. maybe 160-ish rear wheel kw if you're lucky. Yes it's a V8, but not a particularly powerful one at that.

-VT's weigh quite a bit. Low power + higher weight = poor power to weight ratio.

-LSD will make both tires bite on takeoff, which is more resistance to wheelspin.

-Independent rear suspension also improves rear traction over a live axle.

-Diff ratio is probably still just standard?

Really, if I owned a 5L VT I would not be expecting it to be a powerhouse off the mark either. It sounds about right for the 5L cars I drove when car shopping. In the end I decided against the 5L for some of the reasons people are listing.

The one thing I wish my LS did better than the 5L was make that nice meaty thump idle. The 5L V8's do sound cool.

merlinnn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5L
You have a few things working against you here, no matter what.

-Only 179 Kw. If this is at the flywheel, there will be less at the wheels. maybe 160-ish rear wheel kw if you're lucky. Yes it's a V8, but not a particularly powerful one at that.

-VT's weigh quite a bit. Low power + higher weight = poor power to weight ratio.

-LSD will make both tires bite on takeoff, which is more resistance to wheelspin.

-Independent rear suspension also improves rear traction over a live axle.

-Diff ratio is probably still just standard?

Really, if I owned a 5L VT I would not be expecting it to be a powerhouse off the mark either. It sounds about right for the 5L cars I drove when car shopping. In the end I decided against the 5L for some of the reasons people are listing.

The one thing I wish my LS did better than the 5L was make that nice meaty thump idle. The 5L V8's do sound cool.

Yes I'm becoming to realise that the great V8 is not so!!

Anyway, back to mods planning to extract something out of her!

merlinnn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5L
how do you bleed a 5lt have a 5lt never herd of bleeding the system I know you have to on a v6

After the flush, I fill up the radiator, turn the heater on full start her up and keep topping it up until after the thermostat has opened. I then let it sit and bubble out of the radiator cap until I cant see too many bubbles. Put the cap on take it for a run, let it cool down and check the level again, top up if needed in the radiator and lastly check the overflow level.

Hopefully I'm not missing anything?

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht

Yeah sound was probably the best thing about mine.

The sound of it over 3 grand up the highway. Awesome.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
VT has plenty of power but more importantly torque. The old Holden V8 was always built for low RPM torque. Unfortunately the way it's tuned, in a heavy car with IRS and good tyres they just aren't a burnout weapon.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
Time for a stroker or ls transplant mate...or some good ole forced induction ;). kit the auto, put 4.11s in her....

OR... i find this helps most people break traction...

Slap concrete cutters on the back, put a dirty great big UNIT sticker (or whatever tickles ur fancy) on the rear window, tint ur tail lights, slap some vice grips on the rear brake line...and then cruise around with ur windows down and music blaring so i can yell "RIP A SKID C**T"