Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT '99 sedan - intermittent starting problem

HonestJake

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT sedan 3.7 V6 (May 1999)
Hi everyone, it's my first time posting to the Commodore forum.

The other day my car wouldn't start after a dozen attempts. Each time, the engine cranked/started but immediately cut out. It seemed like no fuel was reaching the engine. (It's done this intermittently in the past when the engine is already warm, but normally starts on the third or fourth attempt.)

This is a '99 VT sedan with a 3.7 V6 engine and relatively low mileage (180,000km). It's been very reliable in the past.

I called out the RAC. The mechanic somehow got the engine to start, then removed one of the fuses to do a multimeter reading. I'm not sure which fuse he removed but it made the engine cut out. He found that the fuel pump was sending 8.5 amps to the fuse when it should only be between 4 or 5 amps (apologies I can't be more specific on which fuse it was or the terminology). As such, he deduced that the fuel pump was 'on its way out' and recommended I replace it.

However, since then the car has gone back to its old reliable self and starts on the first attempt every time... at least for now.

Having read through similar threads on this forum I'm now dubious if the fuel pump is the real issue. I don't want to spend megabucks on swapping it out, given it's only an intermittent problem and this might not even fix it. Having said that, I no longer 100% trust the car to start so I need to resolve it somehow!

This isn't a massive problem but I would appreciate any advice from people who've had similar issues. Cheers!

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
I no longer 100% trust the car to start so I need to resolve it somehow!

VT commadores are good at letting you know when something is starting to go wrong
there should be several good DIY write ups in the forums on how to change the pump and filter

Rac - did they say replace the pump or fuel filter . or just got you going
I think the fuel pump does have its own fuse
would you like the car to stop in traffic..highway or on a bridge next week
$89 you should be able to get a better price on the pump
1 X Holden Commodore VT VX Series 1 Fuel Pump Module 09 97 04 01 | eBay
$ 10.50 fuel filter
Performance Fuel Filter Holden Commodore Statesman Caprice VX VY VT WH WK Z578 | eBay

Last edited:

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
+1 for the fuel filter but look at your intake tubing specially between the AFM and the throttle body. I had the exact same problem with my 1998 VT and the rubber tube/pipe had partially come off at the bottom of the throttle body allowing too much air in. I could not see the problem and there was a lot of blue air around my place that day. The motor would start and immediately stall. Similar problem is splits in the same pipe causing the same problem.