Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Acclaim Exterior Door Trim Removal... HELP?

Riggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
'98 VT Acclaim Sedan
hi guys,

on my VT, i've started putting chrome strips around the bodykit (Front and Rear) at the moment, and i want to do the sides (cos it looks out of place with chrome strips on the front and back and not on the sides) (pic 1)

now, on the small one on the front quarter panel, i can pull the grey strip from the middle out... (see pic 2) YAY i thought, i'll just do this for the whole thing, but the strips on the doors are fully moulded into each other... so i removed the front part (the little one), i was thinking about removing the whole thing and just putting the chrome strips into the grooves that are there... (see pic 3)

my problem there though is there are heaps of black blobs under the trim (see pic 3), it's obviously some sort of adhesive.

i was wondering how is the best way of getting this s*** off?
or is there some way of removing the grey center from the longer strips?

any help appreciated.

Attachments

• WEB01.jpg
    WEB01.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 1,579
  • WEB02.jpg
    WEB02.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,262
  • WEB03.jpg
    WEB03.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 3,409

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
The best way to remove the adhesive is to use a Caramel Wheel. Your best chance of getting a Caramel Wheel is from a body shop supply store or from a panel beater.

Ve2007jf

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Commodore
I have been trying to remove these strips myself on my partners vt, but tgey don't seem to want to budge, any suggestions on removing them off the doors?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I have been trying to remove these strips myself on my partners vt, but tgey don't seem to want to budge, any suggestions on removing them off the doors?

Heat gun or hair dryer. The heat softens the adhesive.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
When I used to put them on the VB's and VC's, they where first heated in a rotating oven.
Jig on the door, peel off the backing tape and whack 'em on.
If you didn't get it right the first time, you only had a few seconds to remove it, before it stuck hard.

I don't know if it's the same procedure now or not......
But as accentstencil said above.....Most adhesives don't like heat.