Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT BERLINA - help needed

DaveVTB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Hi there,

Just looking for some advice before I have to have my car towed to a mechanic.
I have a VT Berlina 97, I purchased it second hand and when I took it in for a roadworthy the mechanic said it was in surprisingly good condition. Had to get the engine mounts replaced and your normal list of glass and lights, park break etc.
I've had it for about 6 months and it started to jolt/jerk when you'd accelerate up around the 80km/h mark. I've done some looking online and this seems to be quite a common fault and changing the spark plug leads seems to be the recommended solution.

Unfortunately for me while driving home one day, I heard a strange clunking sound (not sure if it's related,) which seemed to be coming from the back, then at the very next set of traffic lights as I was slowing down to stop, the car just shut down. I still had power to the dash but it wouldn't start.
I had it towed home where it has remained for the past few weeks. I have now changed the spark plug leads and charged the battery as it went completely dead, nd got the car started. It ran for about 15 mins, but would almost stall after I would rev it. After 15 mins the car just shut off again. I did notice some steam seeping out from the radiator cap and there was fluid leaking also.

Any ideas of what the problem may be??
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
Hmm
The only things I can think of that would effect the operation of the engine at the rear of the vehicle, is the fuel pump
and the vehicle speed sensor.
Both could make a clunk I suppose if they went cactus

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Did the engine shut down because of the overheating precautionary setting, also maybe the fuel pump.
How many ks has it done and what's its maintenance program like.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Checked for fault codes? Click Here to find out how
If none show up i'd be looking at fuel filter and pump.
Has petrol in it?
Definitely replace the radiator cap and bleed the cooling system also.

Did the engine shut down because of the overheating precautionary setting, also maybe the fuel pump.
How many ks has it done and what's its maintenance program like.

There is no overheating protection, basically if it cooks then it'll eventually come to a stop in a seizing kinda way or some other form of major noisy fubar mechanical failure.

DaveVTB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
I haven't checked for fault codes yet.
Full tank of petrol, check.
Will replace the cap and bleed the system also.

So with a faulty fuel pump, would I still be able to drive the car? Because I did manage to drive it from the road up my driveway no problems. It jsut took 15 mins before the car shut down again.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
If it is a faulty fuel pump, it's kinda like russian roulette if you keep driving... with higher odds of ending badly.
Next time it stops and won't start, grab something heavy and smack the bottom of the fuel tank in the middle hard a few times, if it starts straight up then it's the pump.

But still check for error codes first, maybe something else.

DaveVTB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
I just ran the diagnostics, and error 12 is the only one that keeps flashing.
I will let it idle again and try hitting it with a hammer when it konks out...

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
I meant a piece of 4x2 or a size 10 boot.... hammer maybe a bit drastic on the poor plastic tank
Although as the saying goes "If a hammer don't fix it, you need a bigger hammer."

DaveVTB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Update: I charged the battery overnight and started the car up in my driveway. Started up first time, like new. I let it idle for about 30 mins, all good. I then turned it off and then tried to start it again but it wouldn't turn over. I gave the fuel tank a bit of a knock (with my small hammer...) but it still wouldn't start.
Any ideas?

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
Starter motor solenoids don't like heat when they're dying. Mine used to do this. Wait for it to cool, away you go. That wouldn't cause it to 'just shut down' of course but it could also have a dying Crank Angle Sensor which absolutely could. I'd do two things. Pour water over the starter when it's hot & won't crank (which I had to do last summer after pulling up for fuel on a hot day before replacing the solenoid) and the same to the CAS if it stopped running when hot. Both of these are common heat related issues. I have a suspicion the noise from the rear is unrelated. I've had my VT V6 since 2000 so have experienced similar to what you're going through.

Edit: Do the ignition lights dull when you attempt to start it hot? If not I'd discount the starter solenoid. If they do I'd be quite confident that's the cranking issue.

Last edited: