Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Calais 5L wont start

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
Hey, how are ya's?

I jumped in the car this morning and backed it out of the garage, i jumped out to shut my gate and i turned the parkers and the driving lights on to give me a bit of light so i could see what i was doing, when i turned them on the fan turned on, i thought it was strange case i had only just started the car and the engine was cold still and when i went to get back in i noticed the engine light was on so i turned it off and went to try and start it again and nothing happens, all the lights come on but it wont crank or anything, when i leave it on 'ON' the oil light, engine light and battery light stay on but the rest go out, the battery light is a little dim but the rest are bright, i tried to do a fault code check but when i bridge pins 5 and 6 and turn the ignition to 'ON' the engine light doesnt flash at all.

Does anyone have any ideas of what it might be?

Cheers.

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
I have checked all the fuses and they are all ok, i have also pulled the leads off the battery and cleaned them up with some wd-40 and still nothing :(

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
When you try to crank it, do the dash lights go very dim?

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
Naa mate, the battery one goes out completely but the rest of them stay the same and it doesnt crank over at all

Coaly69

Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 VZ SV8 Auto
Yeah that's odd, do u have another battery to try and eliminate it as a problem?

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
Naa i dont mate, I had a mate come round and give me a lift up the shops and i tried jump starting it off his car but he has an old tx3 laser and the battery in it is tiny so it was kinda pointless anyway but it didnt change a thing, still didnt turn over at all, no clicking or anything. Im thinking maybe starter motor but i really have no idea.

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
Ok, i just tried it again and it started perfectly, so i let it run for a moment, then gave it a little rev, then i turned the lights on, turned the stereo up, turned the climate control on, the engine light came on for a couple of seconds then went out, i revved it some more, got it all good and hot and it was going perfectly, so then i turned it off let it sit for a couple of seconds and then started it again, it started normal, then i turned the lights and climate control back on and the engine light came on again :( and this time it stayed on and the trip computer was reading 0.0 l/h on the instantaneous reading which usually reads 2.4-2.7 l/h at idle and the tacho was bouncing from idle up to 1,250ish revs but the engine didnt change its rev at all, so then i turned it off and went to start it again and its back to not starting again :(

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
and also when i go to do a fault code check again by bridging pins 5 and 6 the engine light still stays constantly on and wont flash at all?

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
forgot to mention to, before i tried to start it again i rolled it into the shade cause its pretty warm in the sun and i didnt wanna be working on it out there

Coaly69

Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 VZ SV8 Auto
Yikes that sucks mate could be a bad earth somewhere, but yeah starter sounds likely. Good luck hopefully someone can shed some light on it for you, without getting stung for labour in the shop.