Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Calais Climate COntrol Unit replacement

mcada

Reaction score
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Hi All, fairly new to the forums. Recently bought a 2000 VTII Calais V6 (non-supercharged). It's replacing a very tired old VP. It was cheap and needed a few things done. So far, I've replaced the front brakes, given it a service, and fixed the idler pulley, which was causing a whistle on acceleration. I've also replaced the woodgrain fascia with a dark silver one from a VX. Gives it a much cleaner, more modern look.

Here's my problem: I had a high pitched electrical whine in cabin. I discovered it was coming from the dual zone climate control unit.

I've found replacements on eBay ranging from $30 to $100 second hand, but the guys at Commodore King in Minto NSW tell me that you can't just replace the unit with any other dual zone unit, it needs to have the right 3 digit code on the back, which for mine is 692.

Is this correct? Most of the ones on eBay don't show you the number, and the ones I have seen have different numbers, like 900, for example.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :) Also, mods if this is in the wrong section, please move.

Many thanks, Mick.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
mate give it ago its only 30 bucks , cant see why it wont work , good luck

mcada

Reaction score
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Yeah had the same thought. Thanks hotrod

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
as long as you get the same one with the same fittings and functions I cant see why it wouldn't , its not a computer its a circuit board sending the info to were it needs to go.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
I have a 692 if you want one, came out of a Calais GEN111. Others may do the job, I have no idea.
pm me if you are interested.

Can you put up a pic of the front, and back of yours??

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
You need to make sure you get another dual zone unit if you want to keep your Calais original. Most of the ones on eBay etc. are single zone units, but at least they will get you over the whine problem (if it's really coming from the climate control unit - I have my doubts). The issue isn't simply the cost of the units, it's all the time taken to muck around removing the centre console and other items to gain access to the unit for replacement, always with the potential that you will damage something (non-climate related) at the same time. My advice would be to make sure you get the correct replacement and "do it right first time".

mcada

Reaction score
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Appreciate the advice. After removing my dash fascia, I was able to find that the sound was definitely coming from the CC unit. I've bought a second hand one off eBay for $30, dual zone out of a VX Calais. I'll try it, if I have no luck I'll be in touch Ian.

Thanks again.

gm1961

Reaction score
Hi All

while it is apart, plug it in and turn the lights on , you donot want to rip it out again to change the bulbs a second time

regards
george

mcada

Reaction score
Members Ride
VPII Calais
OK so I've replaced the climate control unit with one from a VX. It's still making the noise. It's a very high pitched whistle/whine, enough to give you a headache before too long. Could it be the fan resistor maybe?

On the plus side, all of the lights work in the new unit... :confused:

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
very high pitched whistle/whine, electrical ???

the climate control or a resistor has no moving parts .....i thought

might be a relay

non electrical
a tx valve can whistle
the fan motor does spin ?