Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Climate Control (Vacuum??) Problem?

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Ah cool, just read that pic. By the sounds of the article it could also be the vacuum tank not storing the vacuum for the times where theres minimal vacuum available - at full throttle...

And I rang Holden earlier today, speaking to another Mechanic, and his opinion was that it would be the Vacuum Modulator - (as he called it, im thinking its the same thing that you said?? the Vacuum Solenoid Pack)

He was saying 9/10 times it's that, but he couldn't guarantee that'd be it with out seeing it.
Wish I read your post earlier - I would've asked him if they have had any cars that the vacuum tanks needed replacing/resealing..

For the Vacuum Modulator - Soleniod Pack? there are two types, they changed them from the 27/09/99.
Anything built before that date, the Trade price I got $107.70
And anything built after that date, the Trade price I got $81.40

So I'm hoping thats a good price, sounds like it'd be average from what you mentioned. (Guessing that other figure was RRP?)

Told my Neighbour all this news, and she said go for it. For $80 its worth having a go, but wait till next week payday.
So will post back and let you know how I go, hopefully its this, and not the Vacuum tank,

I might even check if the Vacuum tank will hold vacuum?
Do you think I could just suck on it, lol, and hold my breath to see if it will hold some Vacuum?!
And do you know where its located by any chance?

Thanks again for your help accentstencil, it is highly appreciated!

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I think you can get to the vacuum tank by removing the glove box. If the tank is easy to remove you could test it by holding it under water and blowing air into it, any leak will be seen as bubbles.

Attachments

• air con.jpg
    air con.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 6,412

Jom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Sorry to dig up an old thread. Did you have any luck fixing this issue Zeussy? I now have the same problem, only mine is always directed at the windscreen, rather than only when under load... (mine is the series 1 vx belina)

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

makavel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
i am also interested as when my vt berlina 1999 i have it on the climate control on the face it comes out but then switches to the windscreen and the back even when driving on cruise control. But then when i have it selected on face and feet it only comes out on the feet and not the face ??

IvanTheTerrible

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Climate control uses a bank of vacumn solenoids to convert the electrical info to the vacumn for the flaps. This stuffs up and stops it selecting the correct vent position,
If the selection changes under acceleration it usuall means a vacumn leak.

lufkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Manual LS1 Statesman & VT V6 Calais
i too have this problem i have a vt calais, someone said it could be the vacuum pack under the glove box? does this sound right, looks to be like a little box rectangle in shape and has all different colored hoses going into it, was told calais use this as its electronic rather then manual dials, does this sound right before i spend money?

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry to dig up an old thread. Did you have any luck fixing this issue Zeussy? I now have the same problem, only mine is always directed at the windscreen, rather than only when under load... (mine is the series 1 vx belina)

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Ohh, forgot about this thread/problem...!

My neighbour hasn't been complaining about it lately so it has sort of slipped down the list of things to do, lol, we were going to do it 'next week' like ages ago, but haven't thought about it any more..?

i am also interested as when my vt berlina 1999 i have it on the climate control on the face it comes out but then switches to the windscreen and the back even when driving on cruise control. But then when i have it selected on face and feet it only comes out on the feet and not the face ??

Sounds like it could be a similar problem, I rang Holden a while back when this thread was started and the 'head technician' more or less said that 99% of the vaccuum problems originate from the vaccuum solenoids, but "wouldn't guaruntee" that it'd fix the problem... :hmmm:

Climate control uses a bank of vacumn solenoids to convert the electrical info to the vacumn for the flaps. This stuffs up and stops it selecting the correct vent position,
If the selection changes under acceleration it usuall means a vacumn leak.

Yes, this is true, basically any of the components to the vaccuum side of it, either one of the acuators, or the vaccuum tank, or the solenoids etc could be causing it...

But, again the holden tech said it'l probly be the vaccuum solenoid bank causing the leak/problem.

i too have this problem i have a vt calais, someone said it could be the vacuum pack under the glove box? does this sound right, looks to be like a little box rectangle in shape and has all different colored hoses going into it, was told calais use this as its electronic rather then manual dials, does this sound right before i spend money?

Yep thats the vaccuum solenoid bank in question here, apparently you just replace that unit and it "should" fix/help the problems, but I haven't tried it yet.

The upmarket models all got the 'climate control' whereas the base models were left with the manual turn dials, which is what I have!! wooohooo!!! No guessing games for me! :rofl2:

makavel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
so what do you guys recommend i buy to take to my mechanic to get it fixed ? and how much are the parts roughly ?

thanks

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
so what do you guys recommend i buy to take to my mechanic to get it fixed ? and how much are the parts roughly ?

thanks

These are the two prices I got a while back, (trade) not sure how much of a discount was on that - if any?!

There are two types, they changed them from the 27/09/99.
Anything built before that date, the Trade price I got $107.70
And anything built after that date, the Trade price I got $81.40

And not too sure how much a Mechanic would charge to fit one, I don't think its a 'hard' job, just takes a little bit of time and patience..

I'm not sure if it would fix your problem or not, but you could always try it and let us know?!!! lol

makavel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT commodore
i am almost tempted to leave it are there any negative effects if i just choose to leave it ?