Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Commodore Wagon Camber Kit Installation info

OldskoolOz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
As others have said i dont think its camber as such... i've never seen them wear like that.

i have a VS IRS rear on sssl rears and about 50mm of inside edge is the main wear and it feathers towards the centre.
nothing like that. maybe over inflated or a dodgy tyre from new being higher in that stip then the rest of the tyre.. are they old?
Thanks knos.

Tyres are only about 12 months old.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Thanks for all of the replies guys.

My brother said that he got heavy duty springs back in the day and that it used to sit up a bit at the back without a load and a half tank of fuel. As you can see by the photos, it definitely isn't sagging. This makes me think that the shockies are well over due for replacement.
Yes shocks and tyres are the first things to wear out. As well as brake pads.

OldskoolOz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
I have a vt wagon too. Years ago the rear wheels where looking like old vw rear wheels (/ \).
I put new shocks to fix that problem & did work.

I also had a problem with the way the rear of the car sat. Drivers side sitting lower than passenger. Tried replacing the springs. No work. Took both out & compared them to each other. The same.
What l ended up finding out was the rubber insulators between the seat & spring have different thicknesses. Example passenger side maybe 6 mm thick. The drivers side may have been 18 mm thick. You could buy different thicknesses.

What did l do? Cut down a bump stop, had good thick material. Fixed the level. Was now even. Still in there.

This is possible 2014, so 9 years ago.
Hi Lex.

The photos here are the rubbers at the top of the springs. The one with cracking is the left.

Attachments

• left spring.jpg
    left spring.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 55
  • right spring.jpg
    right spring.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 53

OldskoolOz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
The other thing that I saw that looked a bit odd, was the rubber at the top of the left spring. It appears to be off centre. Does it look right?

Attachments

• Top of left spring.jpg
    Top of left spring.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 56

OldskoolOz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Wagon
From the picture you posted, it is hard to say if a kit has been installed...They are put in the control arms where they bolt to the sub frame.

You need to take a photo more towards the centre of the car for us to see if one has been installed.

As for whether it is a shock/spring issue, it is possible.....

I found with IRS suspensions (ie what you have), the best solution was air bags....They go inbetween the springs.....

Reason being is, when a car is aligned, it is done as the car sits.....So when you go and add weight into the car, you lower the car (even slightly), therefore changing the settings, which can cause wear issues....

Adding airbags, you make a note of the height, so when you add stuff to the back, you can put air into them to get the car back to how it sat when it was aligned....

So another thing to check into
vc commodore, do they make airbag suspension for standard height? I can only seem to find lowered kits. I'm trying to keep everything standard.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Should....Used to fit plenty of them 10 odd years ago to IRS Commodores to help fix the camber wear problems, especially when they were used for towing